How to Dump Dimes

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
For those new to CRHing

In my opinion the key to dimes is dumping

Rolling them is a difficult and time consuming effort.

Dumping by coin counter is tricky, you have to test multiple machines to fine one that is largely accurate. The dime is very close to the penny in size and weight.

Depending on your average yield per box and the price of silver, buying silver dimes a the spot price of silver can be a more economical way to go if you don't have a highly fidelity coin counter to use.

Example;
Buy a box of dimes, find one silver FDR and then dump. If the coin counter mistakes your dimes for pennies at a rate of 1%. That will cost you:
2500 dimes per box x 1% = 25 dimes counted as pennies.
That is a loss of 25 x 9 cents = $2.25
Now that silver dime cost you $2.35 instead of $0.10!
Today's melt value for a silver dime is $2.43

It took me awhile looking at various banks and credit unions, to find one that never (in the last 20 boxes anyway) mistakes a dime for penny. It also helps not to dump pennies with dimes so you know how you are doing.

Upvote 0

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
In Canada the banks don't have coin counters, at least where I am. I dump the roll out, search it and if I don't find anything I just put the coins back into the roll. Essentially all coins I get from banks are CWR so I can reuse the paper. So for me re-rolling is necessary and does not take very much time at all as I don't need to count.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
My counter (when I use it) almost always counts dimes as cents. I never take the hit, they credit it to my account.
Find a bank that will take your loose dimes bagged in a set amount. They can give u cash immediately or credit your account. Or, I also dump cwr re-rolled in a $500 bag. The gals have to accept rolled coin, too bad, cause they have to unwrap them anyway, before it get shipped out with the armoured service.
I use to refuse to re-roll. I discovered that it takes an xtra 5 seconds or so to do if you are searching cwr.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
When I dump dimes it is always $1000 face.

I make 10 bins of $100. I ask the teller to make sure each bin counts as $100 :whip2: because I spent a lot of time counting them :tongue3:. (Actually, I just use my Harbor Freight gram scale in COUNT mode to fill the bins - it takes 15 minutes max to make 10 bins of $100. My gram scale has been exactly right each and every time doing it this way).

I have never had an issue with the dimes counting, but if I did, the problem would be mitigated to a small amount - whatever the miscount on $100 would be.

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just edge hunt dimes but also I get MWR from Brinks. Depending if Im feeling froggy or not I can wiggle them from thier plastic MWR and get them back in. Only opening the ones with silver and reroll them and dropping the box at the dump bank.

But speaking of bad counting machines, dropping halves I was shorted 2.50, the teller calls me later in the afternoon after a hand count with a +1.50 credit. Still 1.00 short I know it was a full 500, but hey Im not complaining they are my dump bank. I find with dropping rolled coins i dont get shorted and get exchanged at full value plus less time in the bank and less work for your friendly teller.

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Canadian Guy said:
In Canada the banks don't have coin counters, at least where I am. I dump the roll out, search it and if I don't find anything I just put the coins back into the roll. Essentially all coins I get from banks are CWR so I can reuse the paper. So for me re-rolling is necessary and does not take very much time at all as I don't need to count.

Same here.... And it takes less that a minute from emptying to full again... not a lot of time... and I enjoy the CRHing so any finds are a bonus

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Simple, get clear wraps if possible and then swap them for another box. Preferably with a large merchant bank that has merchants that will need dimes. I don't want to get dumps back so I try to swap as much as I can. Of course the only drawback is that one is limited with the amount one can do this way. I never do dimes in paper wrap. Waste of time for me. If that's the case, you might as well be doing nickels.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I've had shortages too with dimes. The counter was counting them as pennies. Not much, but some...the worst was about $3.

The bank offered a partial refund, which I took.

I started bugging them about buying the penny bag, and they finally understood what I was talking about. Since then, they had their machine adjusted by a factory tech, and it has been A-1 since then.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
clovis97 said:
I've had shortages too with dimes. The counter was counting them as pennies. Not much, but some...the worst was about $3.

The bank offered a partial refund, which I took.

I started bugging them about buying the penny bag, and they finally understood what I was talking about. Since then, they had their machine adjusted by a factory tech, and it has been A-1 since then.

:laughing7:

that's smart thinking - and a good way to resolve the problem too! :icon_thumright:

sshafer11

Jul 29, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post, this is a major issue with dimes that is easy to miss. I had this happen to me at my main dump branch and the head teller called the manufacturer to service the machine which has seemed to solve the problem.

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm starting to do major dimes too. One bank let's me swap box for box. Dimes are a consumable item for this bank. I re-roll these ones. They are fat right now with dimes. So the last 2 boxes I keep. They will go to the CU counter. I tested the machine the other day. 250.00 in dimes I was short 70 cents. That's when I realized that I never replaced the 8 dimes I found. So I was ahead by 10 cents.

I trust this machine. I will get more boxes from the one bank and dump them at the CU.

On that note. How much would be safe to dump there a week or even 2 times a week. They insisted that I can dump as much as I want. (they refinanced a loan for me so they have my business).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions