How to get quartz crystals off of large pieces of quartz

Shoesnsocks

Feb 22, 2020
Placer county, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been finding a lot of crystals that are just a small part of large quartz rocks. What's the best way to remove the crystals from the rock? Can I just use a chisel?

MVIMG_20200412_132802.jpg

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't chisel those out, they are much nicer in their matrix/host rock, now what I would do is find a less handsome of a specimen and crush it to powder size then pan it out and have a look see.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Shoesnsocks

Feb 22, 2020
Placer county, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't chisel those out, they are much nicer in their matrix/host rock, now what I would do is find a less handsome of a specimen and crush it to powder size then pan it out and have a look see.

That brings up another question. Is this the type of stuff I should be looking for when prospecting?

Upvote 0

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ore does look interesting, if you can take some better close up shots of that specimen, I'd like to get a better look at it, probably tomorrow in sunlight would be best. I see what looks like quartz with limonite, hematite or iron and I think I might see a little pyrite or maybe a tiny bit of gold but the pic is to blurry in that area of the photo idk it does look interesting, if there's more I'd definitely crush one and pan it out, its really the only way to know if it has gold unless the gold is big and obvious of course. Check out Ask Jeff Williams on YouTube, he's a little silly but he knows his stuff and it a good way for you to learn what to look for out prospecting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Shoesnsocks

Feb 22, 2020
Placer county, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That ore does look interesting, if you can take some better close up shots of that specimen, I'd like to get a better look at it, probably tomorrow in sunlight would be best. I see what looks like quartz with limonite, hematite or iron and I think I might see a little pyrite or maybe a tiny bit of gold but the pic is to blurry in that area of the photo idk it does look interesting, if there's more I'd definitely crush one and pan it out, its really the only way to know if it has gold unless the gold is big and obvious of course. Check out Ask Jeff Williams on YouTube, he's a little silly but he knows his stuff and it a good way for you to learn what to look for out prospecting.

Right on I will do that. I've watched a couple of his videos now and he seems pretty legit, even if he is goofy.

I'll take another pic soon.

Upvote 0

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure that I see any crystals other than one large one worth the effort to try to remove and you would probably damage it in the process, would leave as is as someone mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread