How to store huge coins and very fragile coins?

Blitzriuriu

Aug 3, 2015
Latvia
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro 11DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I am in a situation that I can not seem to find a good solution for. Since I began metal detecting I have collected quite a few coins now, some are very big (37mm) and some very small and fragile.

What I had initially planned was to keep the coins in albums within coin sheets. So I bought a few with the pocket size of 4x4cm, and to my surprise most of the coins do not fit in. So now I am in a situation where I have half of my coins in the sheets and other half is not and I am too afraid to put small and fragile coins in the sheets because I fear they will get ripped apart.

I looked in those coin capsules with adjustable rings but they are enormously expensive. 30pcs of empty capsules costs just above $2 while 30pcs of capsules with rings cost 12$. Is the price worth it? And where do you store the capsules after you fill them with coins? They seem to get scratched very easily.

So I am interested in hearing your methods of storing coins and what would you suggest?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Will this work?

-- -- on Amazon -- --
100 2x2 Cardboard Coin Holders LARGE DOLLARS
by BCW

Question:
do these fit the current dollar coins Sacagawea and Presidential dollar coins?
Answer:
These cardboard coin holders have an opening of 38mm. As far as I know the Sacagawea dollar has a diameter of 26.5 mm; that one fits. And for the presidential dollars just measure the diameter and you will know if they fit.
By Gregorius P. on March 4, 2014

Price: $6.93 & FREE Shipping on orders over $49.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have all sizes of staple type holders and use them for the older/odd sized coins that do not have coin folders available. I have some of the Air-Tite coin capsules in various sizes to store any key date/valuable coins.

OP
OP
B

Blitzriuriu

Aug 3, 2015
Latvia
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro 11DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will this work?

-- -- on Amazon -- --
100 2x2 Cardboard Coin Holders LARGE DOLLARS
by BCW

Question:
do these fit the current dollar coins Sacagawea and Presidential dollar coins?
Answer:
These cardboard coin holders have an opening of 38mm. As far as I know the Sacagawea dollar has a diameter of 26.5 mm; that one fits. And for the presidential dollars just measure the diameter and you will know if they fit.
By Gregorius P. on March 4, 2014

Price: $6.93 & FREE Shipping on orders over $49.

I have all sizes of staple type holders and use them for the older/odd sized coins that do not have coin folders available. I have some of the Air-Tite coin capsules in various sizes to store any key date/valuable coins.

Looks interesting, I have seen a lot of methods of storing coins but somehow I have skipped or not noticed this kind of method even though it seems to be quite popular.Thanks for the suggestion!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread