How to tell its a meteorite?

A

aquabob

While hunting, app. 15yrs. ago, I was walking in a cut cornfield, when I walked upon an indentation in the ground, app. 5" across, and 3 or 4 inches deep. In the center, I picked up what I thought was an extremely large musket ball, but dismissed the idea immediately, as there was a depression in the ground NOW. I took it home, and tried my XLT on it, and my Whites 6000 DI/PRO, I can NOT detect it with either detector. It is extremely heavy, almost perfectly round, looks like stone, and is a reddish brown color. There is no doubt in my mind that it came from above somehow, as the depression told the story. Do all meteors have metal content? Can I send you some photo's of my "object" to look at? Thank you in advance...

Bob

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
I believe I found a musket ball also..To bad !they plowed in under though ..My bag was full and I left it at a place I though might be safe..But I guess I have to wait untill harvesting to see if i can find it agian..I aslo felt it could have been meteorite..Did you know that indians colleceted meteorites too..They where secred to them..so if you come upond an indian camping lands, pick up rocks that make your machine ring!you could be in luck!I do!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread