Hunting

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent the last week chasing elk up in the north eastern corner of Oregon.

I knew I was following behind in the footsteps of previous hunters due to the large number of scattered beer cans and cheese stick wrappers laying around. Disappointing to see this trend.

Regardless I couldn’t help but notice all of the basalt rocks laying around that had naturally flaked faces due to the forces of nature and time.

It made me think of the earlier hunters that couldn’t have even comprehended the concept of our modern trash.

As I was stalking along a bare rock rim, I noticed an flake of basalt on the ground. It looked out of place so I decided to flip it with my boot toe just in case…and there it was!

IMG_1872.jpeg

IMG_1873.jpeg

IMG_1874.jpeg

I think it could be classified as an Elko Corner Notched point? Basalt is probably difficult material to work, so the shape may be a result of the material. Interesting to think that someone was hunting this very clearing possibly a millennium or two ago. Anybody have any input on a possible alternative type?

Upvote 11

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Nice rescue. I’m not sure of the types you have in your state. I would recommend reading the laws and regulations for collecting. I’m sure one by accident wouldn’t hurt. Laws in Georgia are kind of strict if they choose to enforce them. Thanks for sharing that one with us.

OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice rescue. I’m not sure of the types you have in your state. I would recommend reading the laws and regulations for collecting. I’m sure one by accident wouldn’t hurt. Laws in Georgia are kind of strict if they choose to enforce them. Thanks for sharing that one with us.
Thanks, since if was found on a private ranch, state law applies, which has an exclusion for picking up “an arrowhead” (singular) as long as you were not excavating or destroying an archaeological site (which I didn’t). I’m not a collector and I wasn’t excavating so I think I’m in the clear.

OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one, is the edge intentionally rounded or is it more of a break?
I think it was just a break. I’ll look closer, but I wouldn’t think they would intentionally round the tip of a projectile point. Have you seen this before?

OP
OP
T

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, even though I'm a fan of perfect points (who isn't) but I'm a bigger fan of those that show use wear; they tell stories.
I wondered if it had struck a bone or simply struck a rock. There was likely an adrenaline rush involved followed by either disappointment or elation.

Full stomachs or another meal of pemmican that day.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, flint fever might set in on ya...

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it was just a break. I’ll look closer, but I wouldn’t think they would intentionally round the tip of a projectile point. Have you seen this before?
Yeah, they would flip a knife or a point into a hafted scraper, here’s a little transition example. Sorry for the delayed response busy time of year
IMG_6629.jpeg
IMG_6627.jpeg
IMG_6628.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread