I am the Grand ColoniIal Wizard!!!!! Yesterdays digs.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am the Grand ColoniIal Wizard!!!!! Yesterday's digs.

Bill and I got out yesterday for another day in the field. We started the day off with a friend to check a potentially new site out. We knew an 1803 site was on the adjacent property and that a civil war era house was in the field we were checking. After about an hour or so we decided that the site was just a little more modern than we had hoped for. That being said, I think Patrick will do good there in time as a few early flat buttons and a broken 1790's buckle surfaced.

On we trekked to one of our older but reliable colonial sites to save the half day. Bill and I had an appointment meet up with one of our landowners to bless the winter digging season. We dug here for about 3 hours or so each of us recovered a few flat buttons, colonial tacks, musket balls, etc. Soon it was time and we parted ways and Bill and I made our way to meet with the nice owner. After some discussion we were given the "go ahead" for the season and we anxiously went to a new field we had not been on yet. We had high hopes here and were very disappointed as not a single signal surfaced that was of until the GRAND COLONIAL WIZARD surfaced. I have to tell you, when I first saw the large silver looking disk pop up with pillars on it, I had a slight level of enthusiasm, until I lifted it up and felt how light it was. The reverse showed a wizard of some sort and after cleaning, it is some sort of a tin alloy toy medallion (probably from the 50's or later).

We quickly packed up and went to "ole reliable" on the property. We had 3 or 4 hours of daylight left and we decided to head to a field that we had not been to in a year (these three fields all had plenty of colonial goodies in them over the years). It started slow, but then picked up as buttons began to pop up frequently for the two of us. My better button find was the tombac spun oval cuff button with a starburst engraving. Found nearby was a typical cuff sized tombac button with a starburst. These guys must have liked that design as I believe Bill found one as well and I began to remember the abundance that came from that site over the years.

All in all, it was not a great day but far from pitiful as well with 13 keeper buttons, a pile of lead shot and musket balls along with other odds and ends. I might keep the grand ole wizard around for a while as he might yet bring good luck to me!

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    249.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 154
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    878.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    681.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    291.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    615.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    553.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    571.2 KB · Views: 161
Upvote 15

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Beauty buttons Dan. So I went to an old witch living deep in a forest by me and showed her the pic of the wizard. She said its foreseen that ye Dan and Bill D shall come upon great colonial silvers and coppers. But only as long as the Wizard accompanies you on the hunt there...if not the spell will be broken and you'll dig slaw...

Nice scores Dan and I'm sure there's more in there after the witch visit.

Steve

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great buttons is your wizard a watch fob?

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
That's quite a haul Dan. I love the buttons, always fun to find. Good job Wizard!

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that medallion like a kkk grand wizard medallion??? Edit to add: Don't know why it put that face emticon there. lol

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul! Congrats!

It's not often something comes out of the ground and calls you names and they're not curse words! Mr. Colonial wizard, you two had a grand time!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you've lost your mind, lol.
That amount of buttons and buckle frags beats what I've been able to pull out of the ground lately so please send some wizard luck my way!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's one huge pile of finds.
Looks like a sweet spot. Congrats.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that wizard fob must be a banner find seeing how everyone likes it so much. Guess you've now earned the new title of "Wizard Boy" ... haha! Does that mean you'll let me be Silver Boy :laughing7:?? I didn't think so. Had a great time as usual.

acm3

Jan 2, 2016
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and
Garrett pinpointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds!!!! I am super jealous. There are no bad days hunting. :)

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
A nice pile of buttons Dan. Too bad no silver surfaced, however I see it in the near future.
-Evan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread