I felt like it should of been old bottle day

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I walked a creek this morning. I saw a bunch of old bottles. I think the clear one is probably a shoe polish from the 1920s. I didnā€™t keep it. But I did keep this old Coke bottle and if anyone knows the age please tell. It has a chip on the lip but other than that perfect. The bottom says ROOT I think and itā€™s from Atlanta Georgia. One side says Not For Sale I think which is odd. But hey I didnā€™t find any points but did find some tools and some broken pieces which I save just in case I ever find the other half. Pottery is a everyday find in my area.

Attachments

• IMG_1786.jpeg
    IMG_1786.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1781.jpeg
    IMG_1781.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1780.jpeg
    IMG_1780.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1771.jpeg
    IMG_1771.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1772.jpeg
    IMG_1772.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1776.jpeg
    IMG_1776.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 11
OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
You didnā€™t keep the clear bottle?
I gotta ask why? Was it too heavy?
I canā€™t leave one behind. Even if I give it to the neighbor kid, it comes home.
Someone will love it.
No place to carry it. I managed with the Coke. I like old Coke bottles. I found a 1923 Christmas Coke one time I gave it to the property owner. This one Iā€™m keeping for myself

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "ROOT" is the glass maker, in Terre Haute, Indiana, in the early 1900s. More info here. From what I understand, the "THIS BOTTLE NOT SOLD" was meant to mean the bottle was the property of the Coca-Cola company, and could not be sold or refilled and used for some other purpose. Like how you used to get a "deposit" back on the bottle. You were buying the contents, but just renting the bottle.

OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I posted the Coke in todayā€™s finds. One person said Straight Side on it. I researched some. They dated between 1900-1920 but the older ones were made like mine with the top added later and not from a mold. Still have to go back and see if there is a date on the heel of it. If I find the date I will tell it

OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
The "ROOT" is the glass maker, in Terre Haute, Indiana, in the early 1900s. More info here. From what I understand, the "THIS BOTTLE NOT SOLD" was meant to mean the bottle was the property of the Coca-Cola company, and could not be sold or refilled and used for some other purpose. Like how you used to get a "deposit" back on the bottle. You were buying the contents, but just renting the bottle.
Boy thatā€™s a lot of reading and some really good information. Thanks for taking the time to link it

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds; interesting bottles. I've never seen one that says "root" or not for sale. I would have picked those up too. It looks like they got their money's worth from the scraper in picture #3.

OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Nice finds; interesting bottles. I've never seen one that says "root" or not for sale. I would have picked those up too. It looks like they got their money's worth from the scraper in picture #3.
Definitely preform and broke day

OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
#3 is thick but worked on all 3 sides I have no ideas on it. Might be a tool might be a preform. I kept asking myself whatā€™s this lol. I found about 4 different things on the tiny gravel bar maybe 4x6. I think I found another site washing out. The leaves are falling now so I probably wonā€™t go back to that creek until the winter rains come.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread