I had some batteries to recharge today. Mine.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every now and again, life gets to us. For me, the holidays are notorious for depleting my batteries.

So, what did I do? I went for a walk around the mansion. I can always count on finding something and
there's a pretty good chance of it being old. But, even if I don't, just looking up at the surroundings there does more
for me then the finding.

Anyway, here's what I dug up:

2015 (162).jpg
2015 (163).jpg

I believe it says "HOUBIGANT FRANCE"

2015 (164).jpg
2015 (165).jpg
2015 (166).jpg
2015 (167).jpg

Strange chunk of lead. I almost think I see a pattern in the side. :dontknow:

2015 (168).jpg
2015 (169).jpg
2015 (170).jpg 2015 (171).jpg

Did get an old coin. I believe it says 1910. Doesn't look real good except
that it's been buried for over a 100 years! ;) Also, I'm pretty proud of this
particular find. For, you see, I deliberately hunted with the ATP wide open,
and with iron audio on and no discrimination. None but my own ear.

This penny was found at just over 8 inches down in a VERY trashy/iron area. I
wanted to see if I could pick out a coin sound from all the iron. The machine was
sounding like a machine gun! But, sure enough, I heard the perfect lil penny sound in and among
all the cr*p. It got tough finding the actual coin as the pinpointer doesn't discriminate either! :)

And....I even got a passport back in the house.

2015 (172).jpg

So! Now, I feel better! Tired, but that's ok. I think I'm all recharged.

Thanks for peeking!

Last edited:
Upvote 9

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chris and I were hunting one of my permissions last summer. I had my phones on and was intent in listening to the tones, when I happened to look up and leaning on the property fence was a fellow that obviously wanted to talk to me. I took the phones off and gave him a hello. Turns out it was the neighbor, and he wanted to talk about detecting 'cause he was one of the '70's and '80's hunters that had given the hobby up. His first question was " Does that discriminate? ". I told him that it did, but I never use the discrimination. He had an incredulous look and I had to explain that I like listening to the tones and deciding myself what I was hearing. I probably have missed things because it was hidden by iron, but my method makes me slow up a bit and work with the machine, not just depend on it.
Glad you got out in your comfortable place.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe I would stick close to that place.nice digs

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris and I were hunting one of my permissions last summer. I had my phones on and was intent in listening to the tones, when I happened to look up and leaning on the property fence was a fellow that obviously wanted to talk to me. I took the phones off and gave him a hello. Turns out it was the neighbor, and he wanted to talk about detecting 'cause he was one of the '70's and '80's hunters that had given the hobby up. His first question was " Does that discriminate? ". I told him that it did, but I never use the discrimination. He had an incredulous look and I had to explain that I like listening to the tones and deciding myself what I was hearing. I probably have missed things because it was hidden by iron, but my method makes me slow up a bit and work with the machine, not just depend on it.
Glad you got out in your comfortable place.

Back when I started, I got sooo in touch with the sounds that the Groundhog made, I was making other hunters jealous AND upset! You see, they usually spent MUCH more for their equipment. ;)

My record was a wheat penny at a full 13 inches down. I even was able to find things with the vlf side that were mere whispers and then able to test them with the discriminator on the TR side. I could almost tell you exactly what metal it was before I dug. My percentage was way up! I was hearing signals that others were completely unable to pick up. LOL

Not so much with this new stuff, but, it still pays to listen really close and get familiar. :)

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's about time that penny was rescued from the dirt!
Cheers

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
No matter where you hunt you always find some really cool stuff!! And with a neat story!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That mansion never fails to produce. And you thought it was hunted out? WTG, Q.

No, I never said that, just that coins are like hen's teeth. We ALL know, NO PLACE can EVER be completely hunted out!! (unless there's nothing left ;) )

I've said that finding a coin there is a very, very rare treat. I've also said, that there will be "targets" there forever!! Man has a way of doing that to nature. :dontknow:

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to Go Whadi! Those "C" clips were used for dog tethers, clothes lines, and flag poles, what do you think? Nice 1910 Wheatie and the vintage stickpin has the personal pocket pets well pleased! Sub 8-)

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to Go Whadi! Those "C" clips were used for dog tethers, clothes lines, and flag poles, what do you think? Nice 1910 Wheatie and the vintage stickpin has the personal pocket pets well pleased! Sub 8-)

Thanks!

The piece that intrigued me was the circle thing with a roller piece at the bottom. Maybe something to do with reins? :icon_scratch:

And, the big round lid with "HOUBIGANT FRANCE" on it. Not sure what it went too but that is an old, old name from what I looked up. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread