Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No to food items! Repopulating the area - or trying to. Eight of them hid in my potato patch and took a dust bath. Three flew into the house. They bounced off ok. Two landed on the roof. They gave that up. I was watering the garden later and four came for a quick shower. Four more took a dust bath in the mulch. On camped out on the deck awhile. They finally divided into a few groups and went nite nite. They don't call them bird brains for nothing. Northern Bobwhite quail.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep an eye on those babys Smokey. They would be a tasty snack for that cougar you have running around in your yard.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this one red fox was on its knees thanking God last night for the delicious treat. It triggered the outside motion lights twice last night(I saw it on the monitor). A great deal of them will be gone by the end of the summer, more over the winter. That's just how it is. They have now scattered into the wilds, I did hear them a little while ago calling to one another. Cicadas are so noisy its not funny. In the wild quail generally only live about a year. The alternative is having their necks snapped for someone's dinner or being shot over while hunting with dogs. No one will hunt them here. No dogs run loose anymore. Few cats. My Dusty the Terrible cat saw one outside and cried and cried and cried. He is very mad this morning.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like they are already hunting in your yard. Wonderful tick control! Hoping some make it - I love hearing them call, a sound I have not heard around here for about 30 years.

The audio is not coming through - I didn't hear the "Born Free' soundtrack. Maybe with the video?

I've thought about doing this too but too cheap and too many predators, including those I subsidize enough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figure it was worth a try. Poor Dusty. All those great things outside, and acting nutso and he couldn't get to them. The calls they made today were not the bobWHITE. They were different, and very loud! Predators within 100 miles probably heard them. The hawks don't know they are here yet.

Those things were stinky! I burned the boxes they were in.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dusty was up all night trying to pick a fight with every other cat I have! The good camera has a lot of pics, but there is something the matter with it. Will try to fix it today.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forty years ago, my neighbor had bird dogs and raised quail to train them with. As soon as it got day light, those dang birds would start calling with the most alfull shrill noise. That call woke me up every morning, as often as 5 am in the summer.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dusty was up all night trying to pick a fight with every other cat I have! The good camera has a lot of pics, but there is something the matter with it. Will try to fix it today.

I know the feeling, raising chickens myself and having a camera that doesn't record what is annoying the birds.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pa_plateau-hiker, I hear you. They started squallering at about 5, which was fine. I scared about 15 back into the woods a few hours ago. Three came back out to get the small amount of grain I had set out. So...most have hightailed it into the great 100 acre (more than that) woods. If they break up into smaller groups I think they will have a better chance. Got the camera fixed. DSCN0588.JPG DSCN0594.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread