Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has done this. Periodically I will be fortunate enough to come across an area that will give up a good number of silver coins. On March 30th of this year I discovered a spot that started to give up silver. Over the next few months, I made several trips to my new Honey Hole. Eight of those trips were with the CTX. Those trips produced 21 silver coins. Then I rechecked the spot, 5 more times with the XP DEUS. Those searches turned up 4 more silvers. Thirteen trips, 25 silver coins.

Recently I broke out the E-Trac to search a park up in Harlem. While using it I remembered how, 2 years ago, the E-Trac had found a few Mercury Dimes that were sitting on edge. Those signals were one way loud high pitched CHIRPS. It got me thinking about making one more trip up to the Honey Hole to try to find a silver that might be sitting on edge.

I gave it a four hour search. I only found 14 coins. Thirteen were clad and one was a 1967 French 10 Centimes. I headed back to the house early because today is The Fourth of July and the NYPD had scheduled a shutdown of the East River Drive starting around 4 P.M.

I am satisfied that the Honey Hole has been sufficiently hammered and that there are no silver coins left for the taking.
I just had to know.

IMG_4558.JPG IMG_4559.JPG

IMG_4560.JPG IMG_4561.JPG

IMG_4563.JPG IMG_4562.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 19

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats really cleaning a spot out. Interesting how you use your machines for certain conditions. There's more silver. You just need to take the AT Pro to get those last few stubborn coins.

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats really cleaning a spot out. Interesting how you use your machines for certain conditions. There's more silver. You just need to take the AT Pro to get those last few stubborn coins.

LOL.. you just might be right

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, for minelab users, your experiment is great information. I roll with the CTX but many folks talk both high and low about the Etrac. I've heard the CTX is faster amongst other things. I've also heard its on par with the Etrac.

Cheers bro!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds! Congratualtions! :occasion14:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Why do you think that spot is hunted out, against the wind? If the area is more than 2 acres, it would take me, working with the Etrac, 15 days of constant checking to get close to covering that space.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to see you were hunting a honey hole. You certainly have an arsenal of high end detectors ATW. I do believe a place is never hunted out, but there comes a time of "little return". I also believe that unless the site has been gridded in multiple directions (three) it probably is still holding a few goodies. Again though it may be at the point of little return. Maybe go back after a soaking rain and dig the rest of the silvers hiding out there.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go back next year, after couple days of spring rain. Three days, three machines. I bet you find at least three silvers?

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good hunt, great pix!

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That French coin is really cool! New York the melting pot, you never know what you'll pull out next or where it is from. Nice post. Congrats and HH

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see you were hunting a honey hole. You certainly have an arsenal of high end detectors ATW. I do believe a place is never hunted out, but there comes a time of "little return". I also believe that unless the site has been gridded in multiple directions (three) it probably is still holding a few goodies. Again though it may be at the point of little return. Maybe go back after a soaking rain and dig the rest of the silvers hiding out there.

Thanks Loco,
I agree,, no place is completely hunted out. I gridded this area over and over with the CTX and the DEUS. I like your label, "little return" It certainly applies here. The general dimensions of this spot is only 75 feet by 50 feet. There may still be a silver or two up there but I don't think I'll revisit that spot until next year.

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, I have pulled some silver dimes that had one way signals and just a chirp on the eTrac. Signals that others may ignore.

aj

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will take different detectors to the same place. Sometimes one detector may pick up a signal and the other wont. Sometimes the same detector will pick up a signal one way but not the other. I usually hunt in dry weather, but will go right after a nice soaking rain to see what I may have missed. The only thing I have really learned is that every circumstance is different no matter which detector I take on a given trip. I like my Minelab SE Pro, but still rely heavily on my 2 good old fashioned Fisher CZ 5's. Both models are excellent detectors and have found me hundreds of very nice items over the years.

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am satisfied that the Honey Hole has been sufficiently hammered and that there are no silver coins left.
I just had to know]

I know that the final words in my post will have others thinking,, "No, no, no,, there is more silver there"
I agree, but it is going to take a bit of luck, the right moisture content, the correct angle, a hot machine, and of course,,, The moon must be in the seventh house and Jupiter is aligned with Mars.
But seriously, I reviewed all my hunts at this site by checking my logs. My coin totals went from a high of 127 coins to a low of 14 coins. Oh yes,, it has been thoroughly pounded. I will probably find myself up there again sometime next year. I always do that with my old honey holes.

Last edited:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know, sometimes I wonder how that concept, (no place is ever hunted out), got started and why. Probably the wishful thinking that we all must do. Otherwise, we'd run out of places to hunt.

Now, don't get me wrong. It all depends on one's definition of "hunted out". If we mean that there is soil that hasn't been hunted, then it's eminently true. As we can only go but a few inches through the soil and there are miles and miles of Earth under our feet.

If it means that there's no more coins though, there are places I could show that simply contain no more coins. (At least no more old drops). Clean areas do exist. I will say this though, if an area had coins and there is a lot of clutter as well, trash, etc. They may hide something but the effort it takes is not much worth the time. I know, I've attempted to prove, to myself and sometimes, others that EVERY place *might* hold a stray. I found my 1812 half in a place where nobody hunts anymore because there's nothing left. ;)

ATW? I'd love to be able to try several different high end machines on several places I know. But, I'm just a simple walker nowadays. My "proving" days are long gone. LOL Like today. I am planning on hitting a field I know about and that I have gridded every square inch of the part I intend to hit, many, many times! I know something of the history of this particular hole that nobody else does. It still has potential but there's trash AND everything is DEEP. Especially for my poor ole ATP.

Still, the rains that soaked the ground for about 2 days make me hopeful that I might be able to reach something I couldn't before. I would LOVE to be able to try a couple machines there! Not so much for finding a treasure but rather, like you, to prove to myself I've done as much as I can there. At least until the ground freezes and thaws again.

Good job on your effort! Wish me luck!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have yet to find a really silver coin rich site. Early on in 2014 I found one and got something like 5 silvers, a silver ring and a gold ring. It was an old swimming hole. Unfortunately I can probably never go back.

Since then the silver coins turn up here and there but no huge numbers so far. I am working to change that though. I have a site I KNOW has plenty silver (famous last words right??) but I'm still awaiting permission.

I'm convinced that at some of my sites, people were just dirt poor and didn't drop much silver. There's no other explanation because the wheaties always seem to show up.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well there are the silvers that are under sidewalks and pavements waiting for a better day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread