I remember why I dont hunt dimes..

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember why I don't hunt dimes..

Took a shot in the dark while picking up boxes today, inquired about dimes. Vault teller has 4 boxes in the vault, I always bring extra cash for CWR, so I buy the lot. It took me two hours to go through a measly 4 boxes of dimes, the same amount of time I can do 35 boxes of halves in, and all I come up with is one worn 1964D. I would kill myself if I had to roll dimes. HH.
:coffee2:

Upvote 0

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all depends, i have been killing it with dimes lately. Im finding about 5 per box and i am finding some 1964s that look in au condition. Guess its all a matter of hitting a silver streak.

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
I usually don't do boxes of dimes.
I will tear up CWRs all day. I can search. And re-wrap a few hundred worth in no time at all. While driving even. Lol.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
CWR dimes are where it's at. I still prefer halves but they are harder to find. I've been getting lucky lately with CWRs.

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Were you checking every dime or just checking the rims? When I do a box of dimes I first scan the rims and then break the roll down into thirds in my hand where I scan over the coins just to make sure I didn't miss anything. I can usually finish the box within an episode of King of the Hill on Netflix :laughing7:

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some dimes yesterday, and they saved me.

About 160 in cr dimes. 1950' and 1964.

Did about 400 in halfs, all skunky

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, while you can find silver in dimes, even with huge skunk levels on a bad day of halves I will still find about 4x as many troy ounces doing halves.

35 boxes in 2 hours though is a big hooey fish tale :-) 10 boxes per hour is about as fast as you can do it with no help, filling out the coin lock bags, etc etc.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CWRs is where its at for dimes. Next time you pick up ask for CRW dimes, buy all of them from every bank. I was pleasantly surprised by a solid roll of silver dimes last week.

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
CWRs is where its at for dimes. Next time you pick up ask for CRW dimes, buy all of them from every bank. I was pleasantly surprised by a solid roll of silver dimes last week.
I've probably gone through $5k worth of CWR's of dimes and have had worse luck than I do with boxes. Bags, OTOH, produce slightly better, and I'm pretty sure a solid roll was dumped into one once, when I pulled 65 silvers out. That was my best dime score by miles.

Sleazyj

Mar 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
conleytheking said:
I usually don't do boxes of dimes.
I will tear up CWRs all day. I can search. And re-wrap a few hundred worth in no time at all. While driving even. Lol.

I've tried quarters and halves while driving, didn't work out. Now I have about 30$ in coin wedged somewhere in between the seat floor and consul that I cant get.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've searched well over $100,000 in dimes in the last few years. My running average is 1 silver per $100. 70% were cwr, and not once a solid roll...best was 27 in one cwr.

bblair

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been doing about $400-$500 in dimes a week recently with mostly CWR's. I've found my odds are much better with those than boxes or MWR's. Of course like mentioned above, halves are still the way to go, but I think the casual hunter is only after halves while the more serious hunters will do other denominations.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i hear ya, i searched 2 boxes of dimes from 8/31/10 and both were skunks, even back then!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread