I'd never heard of this brand - until Saturday!

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bowers & Wilkins. Apparently it's a high-end European manufacturer of home theater components.
I was in my local thrift store with my new wife which shall remain nameless, (the store not the wife, her name is Sharee) when I spotted this subwoofer on a freshly rolled out cart.
I had never heard of the brand but did some quicky research and discovered it is a very high quality speaker with lots of sold prices from $200 for banged up units to $400+ for mint condition examples.
It is a Bowers & Wilkins ASW610 powered subwoofer with a 10" speaker pushing 200w RMS.
This one was in perfect condition with nary a scratch on it. Crutchfield and other outlets sell them for $650.
I paid the $20 they were asking then took it home for a test-drive. I have a very nice, (and expensive) high powered Polk Audio 5.1 system with a 12" subwoofer and lemme tell ya, that system is no slouch but this B&W speaker absolutely blew mine away.
After some Nine Inch Nails then a few minutes of smooth jazz, Sharee said it was clear as to why the B&W costs $650.
I have it listed on eBay with a $349 BIN and free shipping which will run $90-$125 including insurance. I've got some watchers and am confident it will sell but I have no problem keeping it if it fails to sell.

s-l400-2.jpg

s-l400-3.jpg

s-l400-4.jpg

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sir top of line right their!!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score and congratulations on the new wife.

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sold locally for $250 today. Nice profit for a $20 purchase :headbang:

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find. I have B&W for my bedroom system and its great stuff. I wonder if other pieces will be hitting the shelves someday soon.

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been back twice, haven't seen the rest of them.

I now have sellers remorse but not because I sold it, it's because of the person I sold it TO.
He is hooking up a state-of-the-art sub to a boat anchor Marantz reciever with no sub channel. The rest of his system includes an old console and turntable. Once he finally figured out how to get sound through the sub it sounded terrible with the old dusty console speakers.
But that's not the worst part.
It appears that his wife is an absolute 'see you next Tuesday'. As I was bringing the sub into the house, she started berating him with, 'That's bigger than what you said!' 'How are you going to hide that?' 'I said I didn't want to see ANY speakers...' nag, nag, nag. I felt sorry for the guy. A real cuck this guy. They were both in their early thirties.
When I finally made it out of there I gave my wife a big kiss and thanked her for not being a ***** :laughing7:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job I love stuff like that

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread