ID this black rock

rochbuster

Mar 7, 2020
Rouyn-Noranda
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had this rock for a long time, I don't even remember where I've pick it up. So anyone know what is it? It's black with some shiny little spot in it, it's very hard and it's not magnetic.

20200224_205056.jpg 20200224_205108.jpg 20200224_205128.jpg 20200224_205209.jpg

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard rochbuster! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) - members may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.)...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rochbuster

Mar 7, 2020
Rouyn-Noranda
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard rochbuster! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) - members may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.)...

I'm from Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec Canada, on the cadillac fault and I'm at only 2h from Cobalt, Ontario so there's a lot of old abandoned mines in my area.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

rochbuster

Mar 7, 2020
Rouyn-Noranda
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might check the hardness. Can you scratch it with a penny, nail?

When I scratch it with a nail on the botton which is flat you see some white line but they're on the surface, no material come off from the rock, it's too hard.
Maybe it's anthracite coal like Kray Gelder said but when I look at picture of it on internet it doesn't look like it. Somebody told me it maybe serpentine but again I didn't
see a picture of serpentine that look like it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread