Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really won't matter now. Everything is saved and MicroCenter is open tomorrow.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It could be the power supply. A weak power supply will cause all kinds of issues.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, but it was replaced last July 2019. Good thing my daughter has a degree in computer science. Waiting for the blue screen of death to come back on and will give her a screen shot and she'll be able to tell me exactly what it is. Probably better to go get a new machine. Mine is old.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had a PC since 1983, and along the way I've had quite a few die. One thing I do is pull out the hard drives and save them. Picked up docking stations for each kind of hard drive. Plug a drive in and then instant access to old data. Over the years, saved my butt a number of times. I also ensure that I regularly back up my data somewhere, to some drive. Just lost a system again last year. Bought a new one and transferred my data to the new machine.

I lose about a day each time a system drops out, and systems do drop out - regardless of who you are and whatever "protection" you're running - hardware fails....

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hasn't happend for hours now. Odd. On the other hand, the power company is "playing" with those huge towers, 345,000 volts or something like that or more. Every day or two the power goes off momentarily. That could have something to do with it. They are restringing the biggies.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep running them until the magic blue smoke leaks out.

Violated all my early prejudices and am running an iMac now. That is working great!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Electricity is a PC's greatest enemy. Power surges, even if it's so minor that you won't notice it. Over time, this seriously ages a system.

To protect my PC, I use two levels of surge protection. First is a spike bar, and from the spike bar I connect to a "power center"..... Then to the PC itself.

I generally get 7 to 8 years out of a system before I have to replace some devices.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still taking a lickin and no blue screen of death all day today. However, that being said, I think I need a new starter for the truck. Tow truck here I come.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I need a new starter for the truck.

I've two dead vehicles in my driveway. My goal is to buy a new car this coming week. I'm too old & ugly to hitch-hike :(

Back when I was a young man I hitchhiked from Greensboro, NC to El Paso, TX. Managed to make it there in less than 24 hrs. I did have to deal with "crawling hands" a couple times on the way. Perves existed in the 60's too!!!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put a new battery in the truck. I KNEW that was not the real problem but when I checked the date it was almost 6 years old and no way I want to get stranded a couple hundred miles from here or in the dead of winter. Better safe than sorry. I'll have it towed to my repair guy tomorrow and I have insurance for that and today's tow. AND I still have some cash on hand, so no problem. Computer hasn't failed yet today. Maybe it IS the power company, as the Verizon network works when it feels like it these past few weeks. My local friends have noticed the same problems with the Verizon network.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread