Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe they had mechanical problems ..we will never know.I’m sure the pilot had to make radio contact with the carrier before landing

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
apparently it didn't matter. they still graffitied your plane if you landed on the wrong one

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What happens if a naval aviator accidentally lands on the wrong carrier?

Don Stante, Principle Chief Engineer, Aerospace Answered 1 year ago ·

Hahaha, Actually, quite a few pilots have landed on the wrong carrier. It’s not that hard to do. When that happens, US Naval tradition dictates that the crew members do their absolute best to remain discreet and not embarrass the pilot.

But what actually happens is the ship’s crew take advantage of the pilot's navigational error, and make sure their mistake does not go unnoticed by properly branding the visiting aircraft before departure. Imagine returning to your Boat with all the markings of your misadventure displayed on your aircraft.

Similar branding occurs to aircraft visiting a Navy or Marine Corps air station from a different branch of service (the worst), or even a different squadron. Same model aircraft from different branch visiting a Navy or Marin Corps air station can also find that some of the components on their aircraft changed overnight. Good tires have become baled, batteries flat, radios inop., etc., you get the picture.

A training squadron I was assigned to had helicopters that were painted gloss green. The neighboring squadron had identical aircraft with flat green paint. There were several times while performing preflight inspections that I noted my aircraft had a flat green door or panel. Apparently those parts had issues and were swapped with parts from the other squadrons aircraft.

Last edited:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Apparently he not only landed on the wrong carrier, but he did it after traveling through a tear in the fabric of time. Didn't see anything like that in my WWII studies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread