Ike Discovery

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Visited my parents this past weekend and told them about CRH (don't worry - they're def not going to start CRHing). My stepdad reminded me he worked for Coinstar back in the late 90s and remembered the internal reject tube producing some good stuff. He dug around in the basement for 20 minutes and emerged with a cookie tin full of Ikes, 134 to be exact. I went through them and found 2 1922 Peace $s, 5 silver Ikes, and 3 proof silver Ikes (though they were well circulated). Have been trying to get bags of Ikes for months - little did I know my parents had a cache in their basement. Stepdad is retired, but I tried convincing him to start working for Coinstar again and let me come along. Do you know if Ikes still go in Coinstar reject tubes?

image-285821298.jpg

image-4162126393.jpg

image-3900030716.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't call it banner, nowhere near, but still a dang cool find. You did check for '72 T2's, right? Even in circulated condition, they're worth more than a common-date peace or morgan at $35+.

OP
OP
RamsesII

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I reckon if you could consistently get Ikes from somewhere, you'd clean house on silver. Has anyone done a few thousand dollars of Ikes? What are your Ag averages?

OP
OP
RamsesII

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't call it banner, nowhere near, but still a dang cool find. You did check for '72 T2's, right? Even in circulated condition, they're worth more than a common-date peace or morgan at $35+.

Ha, yeah i agree. No banner. Maybe if it was a box of 250 unc Morgans. Have there been any CRH banners? I would think some folks might question if it was a real find vs someone's collection. I'll check them for 72 type II's. Any other varieties to search?

rpg25

Dec 9, 2012
Earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you seriously try and get him to come out of retirement so you could get silver off him or was that a joke?

OP
OP
RamsesII

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you seriously try and get him to come out of retirement so you could get silver off him or was that a joke?

Ha, I was joking. He laughed and said he loved that job because he got to tinker and fix lots of machines in his area. He had a beeper, and the machines would contact him if full or dirty or error. But hell, if he said yes, I wouldn't protest. Haha. ;)

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha, yeah i agree. No banner. Maybe if it was a box of 250 unc Morgans. Have there been any CRH banners? I would think some folks might question if it was a real find vs someone's collection. I'll check them for 72 type II's. Any other varieties to search?

As a whole, the CRHers on this forum do not want their big scores plastered onto the banner for fear of it leading to increased competition...which makes sense. However, many of these same CRHers will post and brag about every find they make on this forum thinking it somehow won't be seen outside of the "CRH community"...which makes no sense to me.

OP
OP
RamsesII

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
As a whole, the CRHers on this forum do not want their big scores plastered onto the banner for fear of it leading to increased competition...which makes sense. However, many of these same CRHers will post and brag about every find they make on this forum thinking it somehow won't be seen outside of the "CRH community"...which makes no sense to me.

Good point. Because these forum posts show up on Google, right?

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, a lot of the times I'm trying to research something on google, half the results are from here.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure they are worth $35+ on the 72 T2's?

A nice, problem-free lower AU should get $35 almost always on ebay, if not more. Most of the raw ones I've sold have fetched at least $40, with several going up to $75-$80 for low grade (60-62) MS examples.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice am sure you will keep them forever no banner needed just a real good find!!Good for you!! Priceless

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread