Im haunted by the silver....

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm haunted by the silver....

So, yesterday, I was out in an urban patch of land that my family has gardened for the past 40 years. It had just heavily rained but I needed to pick some squash and zucchini to prepare for dinner. As soon as I entered the gate, I saw a coin on the top of the soil, but thought it just to be a corroded penny. Picked it up and was AMAZED, a 1911-D Barber dime!! Good shape too, except it got hit by the tiller.

It's quite possible that my grandfather could have lost it, and now that I've taken an interest in coins, it came back to me.

My wife's grandmother said "I wonder where that came from?" and I said "Denver".

Attachments

• 2012-07-09 17.11.03.jpg
    2012-07-09 17.11.03.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 2012-07-09 17.11.14.jpg
    2012-07-09 17.11.14.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 0

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That pesky Ag even bothers you during dinnertime, when will it end!!!

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!!! If you don't already have a detector go borrow one or buy one and do that yard over! You might just have some more surprises.

OP
OP
PhattyB

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!!! If you don't already have a detector go borrow one or buy one and do that yard over! You might just have some more surprises.

Well ahead of you, my first thoughts exactly. Wife said maybe for Christmas, lol.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been wanting to get a metal detector for a while now. Finding a barber dime like you did would push me over the edge. Great find. I'm finding it difficult to zero in on the detector I want.

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to start metal detecting but I live in the Peoples Republic of Maryland and from what I found online there is way too many regulations. I also don't know many people with lots of land to search.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a detector its fun. Now that i found crh i would only use it here and there. 2 of my houses were built 1885 1855 Nice find good eye!!!

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
unclehuckelberry said:
I want to start metal detecting but I live in the Peoples Republic of Maryland and from what I found online there is way too many regulations. I also don't know many people with lots of land to search.

People's Republic of Maryland. Too funny.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice job, gotta love it when the lady comes home to join you for dinner!
congrats, maybe some more finds in the future,
hh
buff

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

I have a detector, no problem with it for me (other than too many minerals in the ground in some places). I also live in Maryland.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread