Impact IM40 and IM45

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been using the IM28 for the most part. In deep mode, I get what seems to be decent mid tone signal @ 8-10 inches deep. When I get to the target, it's usually a nail. I'm wondering, if I get an IM40 or IM45, will I get better target recognition at the greater depth?

In other words, if there is a nail 8 inches deep, will the larger coil give me an iron tone?

Thanks,

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't speak to those 2 coils, but I love my larger 13" Mars discovery on my Impact. I never did too good with deep mode, but 4 tone is surprisingly deep and does a good job ID'ing deep targets with my discovery.

OP
OP
sibbley

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ended up with an IM45 (15x17). Damn, that's a big coil! Didn't get to take it out for a spin, UPS was late tonight. Dropped a quarter in the grass off my back patio and hit the quarter every time up to about 2 feet. VDI was 80-82 every time. I think I could have raised the coil more and still hit the coin. Added a piece of iron about 2 inches from the coin, separation seems good too. Can't wait to see what might be lurking deeper in my yard after work tomorrow.

OP
OP
sibbley

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't dig anything, but the IM45 opened up quite a few new targets in my front and back yard. They show anywhere between 10 and 14 inches when pinpointed. We'll see, I'll dig when it warms on Thursday. It was 28 with the wind chill this afternoon. Tomorrow looks about the same. I always loved the cold weather, but since I turned 50 two years ago, I can't seem to take it like I used to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions