cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard of a modification to increase the depth of excalibur.

anyone know whats involved and how to do it ?

thanks

Yup, put a bigger coil on it and hunt in pin point. I like the 15" NEL Attack coil myself.

OP
OP
Robinb

Robinb

Feb 10, 2016
In the sun
Detector(s) used
CTX3030 and
Excalibur II with 15" NEL coil
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yup, put a bigger coil on it and hunt in pin point. I like the 15" NEL Attack coil myself.

yes i have the NEL tornado on mine.

But what i have heard about is an electronic modification to circuit board that gives more depth etc.

Sandscoopdan

May 19, 2012
Cypress,Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Extreme scoop
Boat: 20ft Four Winns w/92 V8 5.0L Cobra Mustang engine
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Cudamark - do u have any pics of ur setup with that Nel 15in coil? I bet it feels good in the water. I used to have a big coil for the CTX and I am about to get an excal and get the Nel 15in coil. I have decided to sell my AR15 to pay for it. I should have bought the Excalibur II along time ago. Working on my boat after finishing building my fence and it will be great to pull up to different salt water beaches and let the dogs run around while I go detecting old swimming areas, etc.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cudamark - do u have any pics of ur setup with that Nel 15in coil? I bet it feels good in the water. I used to have a big coil for the CTX and I am about to get an excal and get the Nel 15in coil. I have decided to sell my AR15 to pay for it. I should have bought the Excalibur II along time ago. Working on my boat after finishing building my fence and it will be great to pull up to different salt water beaches and let the dogs run around while I go detecting old swimming areas, etc.

Sure, here you go. It also has upgraded Grey Ghost Amphibians, Carbon fiber shaft, Pin point switch on the handle, and I like it hip mounted. It's not really my favorite in the surf however. It's much easier to swing a smaller coil in the waves, so, I have a stock 11" Excal coil for that. I use this one mainly in the wet sand and ankle deep water, although lately, the Equinox has been taking over those duties.

Attachments

• Excal NEL.jpg
    Excal NEL.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
There are two internal mods you can do for the Excalibur but they are related to other mods that have to be done also to get the full gain in depth. The BAD is ... I do not share them for like the Pinpoint modification I shared in 2010, then did a video of in 2011.. Several have copied.

Also the one modification that is done to the PCB, if not done correct can cost you a working machine. And trust me on that for I messed up a couple PCB's...... So to put something out that could be considered dangerous or wrong information, best not to share.

Also several years ago there was a talented young man (Shawn) who made Afterburners for the Minelab Sovereign. What that amounted to was more power to the coil which added about 4 inches more in depth. Problem.. Not water proof. But I did a quick build of a Sovereign with several modification in a water proof container. The Sovereign worked great and depth was equal to a PI's, on the drysand and into the wet...BUT once the coil touched the saltwater.. the machine was un-useable. Major overload, the board could not handle the return signal for it was way to strong once in the saltwater.

Now my opinion, the Excalibur can be modified other ways to enhance it's performance. I am a fan of the stock coils, bigger is not always good specially when hunting in the water.. and that is where I hunt. Now if your a wetsander/drysand hunter.. I don't think you can go wrong with the way Cuda has his machine setup..,. Big coil, PP modification and a good set of head phones..

But if you hunt in the water noise can be a issue specially on a Hot machine. So I went the route of removing most of the noise when hunting in the water by making several external changes. So far the few time's I have used it .. it like hunting in a calm water lake when the water is rough.

attachment.php

Attachments

• xcal 4.jpg
    xcal 4.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 124

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread