OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE: I believe I have found a total of 55 rock circles, 6 mounds, and 5 possible adobe foundations! The archaeologist that works for the Quechan Indian Tribe contacted the BLM archaeologist from the area. She tells me that the sites depicted in the pics I showed her have not yet been recorded! A meet will take place and we will visit the places I have found. These three structures will also be included in the survey...
AF 2.jpg

AF 4.jpg

AF 5.jpg

They better bring enough water. We have some walking to do! ╦╦C

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The list is growing!
Mound 9.jpg ╦╦C

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE: I believe I have found a total of 55 rock circles, 6 mounds, and 5 possible adobe foundations! The archaeologist that works for the Quechan Indian Tribe contacted the BLM archaeologist from the area. She tells me that the sites depicted in the pics I showed her have not yet been recorded! A meet will take place and we will visit the places I have found. These three structures will also be included in the survey...
View attachment 1841103

View attachment 1841104

View attachment 1841105

They better bring enough water. We have some walking to do! ╦╦C

I Drove into the desert and then used my Rokon to visit adobe foundation 5. It is NOT North American Indian. It turns out to be a mining site from the late 1800s and early 1900s. It is a concrete slab. I also suspect #2 and #4 are concrete slabs. Oh well, on-the-ground confirmation is required. I will also add that the number of rock circles found now is around 85 and growing! ╦╦C

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On-the-ground hiking along these ancient Indian trails is producing more fascinating discoveries! One of the trails I walked produced a rock circle, rock cairn, and agate flakes! The agate flakes indicate that at that spot, hundreds of years ago, an Indian fashioned a stone tool/arrowhead!

First, I came upon the rock circle
Rock circle.JPG

I then walked a little further and found a rock cairn set up to show which fork in the trail the Indians were to use!
Marker.JPG

And then a little further is the agate flake scatter.
Agate flakes 1.JPG

There were many more agate flakes here but I could not get all of them into a single picture and still be able to see them.

Neat stuff! ╦╦C

Samanthy

Apr 22, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White‘s Sierra Madre
White‘s TM–600
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Just a thought , could these rock circles be for a burial or religious site ?

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, some certainly were. Although the archies must speculate on their exact purpose, some of the rock features were used for some sort of religious practice. A rock mound I found was littered with hundreds of potsherds. The mound probably was used to pray for rain... a religious shrine, so to speak. That would make it a religious site. but again, since their is no written record, the exact purpose is unknown. ╦╦C

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a THEORY of mine. I think these rock circles were POSTS that were manned during the thunderstorm season. Many of these circles are set up near natural "rain puddles". I think the Indians were stationed in these circles to await the heavy, yet unpredictable rain squalls. When it did rain, they ran out and collected the rain in vessels to return to the community. Just a theory of mine. ╦╦C

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The number is now over 200! Here are some of the latest.
More.jpg more 2.jpg ╦╦C

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread