Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 (Stock Coil)
Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Minelab X-Terra Pro (Stock Coil)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every machine has its own personality. I truly believe that. I am learning the Legend certainly has a personality my Equinox doesn't.
Some things I've done recently seemed strange to me and I would like to share them. It will be interesting to see if others have noticed these.

1) Weird high pitched sound that is not threshold but sounds similar- This was a weird one. While up late one night this week I went in to play with the Legend a little bit. I turned it on and noticed a high pitched sound, like an electrical sound. it was very similar to my threshold hum so I turned off Threshold. It was still there. What was it?
Answer: I noticed when the backlight came on that is when the sound was heard. Had mine set on A2. As soon as the display went off on its own the sound stopped. I guess I was either hearing the actual backlight circuit or either the board pushing voltage into it. Talk about being tuned into a machine.. LOL

2) Instability in general- We've heard of unstable Legends after an update and it has been discussed about the UART bridge drivers. My Legend came with 1.11 from the factory. Yesterday on a hunt it was horrible acting and since day one it has felt quirky. So last night I updated to 1.13 and did all the driver updates and such before that update. Did a factory default on it after the update. Took it out today with the LG24 and it acted like a different machine! Super stable, and very clean. No more jittery tones when I laid the detector down, no more odd chatter or freaking out. It reminded me of how my Equinox acts-smooth. So, for whatever reason my little update last night turned the Legend into a well behaved detector that netted me some serious clad coinage today and 3 kid rings(junk but pretty). Don't understand this development at all- as mine was a factory 1.11 supposedly yet it was acting like an updated one with the instability from an odd update. But not now!

3)Charging/Battery Level Weirdness- I've noticed that for the first couple times out after charging the battery bars seemed to go down awful quick. I've charged the Legend up twice before and it seems like it never truly stops pulling amps (I've read this from someone else who was using a Charger Doctor). It's like there is a bleeding going on with the battery. Perhaps the real time clock is slowly discharging the battery? To add extra to this development, I ran it down by 2 bars today while using it so I hooked it up to charge for #3. Oddly when I powered up the charger the Legend powered itself ON. That is a new development. Might just be a one time fluke but will be watching it. Just strange stuff.

4)Carbon Shaft wobble/play- I've experienced this too. Although I am not a coil scrubber I'm noticing while swinging a slight wobble. Read on another forum or maybe here about others experiencing this. So I did what they did. I put a piece of shipping tape on the area of shaft where it is being clamped. It did so far rectify the issue. Maybe Nokta needs to look at that some more. I don't feel like they completely have it under control. It could probably be fixed with a little more material thickness or more material on the clamp engagement itself. I do wonder as time goes on how much more wobble may be present.

5)The Legend has really impressed me and is proving itself to be every bit the interesting/captivating detector I hoped it would be. It has enough little behaviors that keep you guessing, thinking, and interested in seeing what other secrets it is hiding. I'm loving the Legend! It's a welcome freshness.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions