Investing in Gold

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
Can anyone out there give me their gold investing ideas? I am wanting to know mainly what kind of gold would be the best to get into whether it be coins or bars. Who are some reputable dealers out there that dont mark up too much for processing fees and will pay you the spot price when you go to cash in on it. I have been thinking about it for a long time now about adding it to my retirement port just am not too sure of the best way to go about it. Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Clay

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you could try local coin shows they sell it for spot by me

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it probably will decline due to all the people selling what gold they have but after that runs out i think it will be going back up again.

OP
OP
jonnyrebel00

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
yeah im lookin for the long haul so prices rising and falling hopefully wont be too bothersome. I have heard the same thing about buying the coinage opposed to the bars. i just want to be sure that many years from now when i am ready to sell that i will be able to get close to what the gold is going for at the time with out depreciation for lack of a better term. Does yall know of any reputable sellers? I live too far out in the styx and we dont have much for coin shows up here unfortunately.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Gold coins are a good long term investment, as is any gold/silver. You can also buy gold bullion,
nuggets and such on e-bay at market prices. Anytime oil goes up, so does precious metals, and
oil is predicted to rise this spring. When the refineries change over from winter to summer formula the price always spikes. As oil continues to rise so will precious metals. also China is using more and more silver and causing it to climb. You can buy a lot more silver than gold, so
if it spikes you could sell some and keep some. This is how I've always done. I don't know if thats
the best but it's always worked for me.

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scooterl said:
hey has anybody used this treasure troopers.com on here just wondering ???
i have, and made some good money off it ;D

OP
OP
jonnyrebel00

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
ive never used it, but i just made an account and ill see what its all about. keep yall posted if i get nething decent out of it.

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
I have invested in Kitco.

Unallocated silver pool.

You buy a number of ounces of gold or silver, they keep the metal in their safe, (that is the risky part), and if the price goes up you sell your gold or silver back to them and they will send you a check.

If the price goes down, you lose.

Or for a fee, they will transform the metal into bars or coins and ship it to you on demand.

Kitco....precious metal store.

That is what I did.

Dosamigos

Jul 2, 2007
All of my gold investments have gone into my teeth.

I think if bad comes to worse I could get by one crown at a time. I even have a bridge that would get me a vacation worthy of "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous"

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Clay,

My non expert opinion on buying gold is buy physical and stick to bullion coins, such as Krugerrands, Maple Leafs, etc. Bars are nice to look at and have lower premiums, but I believe that if you are a beginner in this you are safer with bullion coins from a reputable dealer. Learn the size dimensions and weights of each type of coin you choose to buy so you know what you are getting is the real deal. Be aware that bullion coins with high premiums may lose those same high premiums when it comes time to sell. Best bet: Krugerrands.

Sometimes you can get good prices on old US Gold coins in circulated condition. If you can buy these for close to spot and you know there are not fakes or counterfeits, they can be fun to own. They seem to have more "character" to me than bullion coins and the $20 double eagles contain close to an ounce of pure gold.

I would stay away from graded or slabbed coins of high grades unless you know what you are doing. Some dealers may try to steer you to high cost slabbed coins by telling you they are a better buy. Make sure you are informed before you make your decision.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread