Is it possible that South Americans visited the east coast of Australia long ago

aussie 1

Aug 4, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is quite possible as if the Spanish Jesuits could have visited Australia over a period of several hundred years why not others. Max

OP
OP
H

hexhamation

Jul 13, 2011
Am reading some amazing "stuff" on Visitors to Solomon Is, Vanuatu and New Guinea, during the 15th century! A lot of the voyages originated from the west coast of South America. Mendana had maps showing the "great south land" likely drawn around 1530-36.
Torres traversed the straits not knowing that it was Australia to the South in 1605. Then there is Jardine's treasure from Boot Reef, other legends about treasure on most Torres Strait Is. Siting's of a very old shipwreck at Long Is. in the Whitsunday's,the Stradbroke Is. galleon! One of the better known "treasure hunters" in Qld believes that the Sir James Hardy group of islands situated half way to the Cape could be well worth while taking a good look at! Rex Gilroy has a lot of information on the internet and believes that the Phonecians were here in the 2nd Century. A lot of Spanish and Portugese ships went missing on voyages seeking out the "great south land" between the early 1500's and early 1700's? It may well be VERY likely that there are many more old shipwrecks on or off the coast of Qld than previously believed! I will return to Cape Upstart shortly and"detect" around the "carving" area and down to the beach. You Never, Never Know, If You Never, Never Go???

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hexhamation said:
While hiking on the north eastern side of Cape Upstart, to the north of Bowen in north Qld i found what i believe is a carving depicting the whole of the South American continent on a rock face. It is close to the sea and in most winds could be a reasonable anchorage. Did not take a camera, but plan to return sooner than later? Any thoughts???
Do have any pictures you can post on here?
It may have been from the Quiros and Torres expedition, South American Indians didn't have ocean going ships.
Ossy

Lammerlaw

Tenderfoot
Mar 1, 2011
Dunedin, Otago
Detector(s) used
Garret Deepseeker, Minelab Xtreme, Goldbug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My ancestors always stated that they came from a land far to the East - the name of this land was 'Patu-Nui-O-Aio' and they were in New Zealand when the Maoris arrived later. This places them on and beyond Easter Island...no one has yet satisfactorily explained how the South American Kumara is to be found here - someone brought it here. DNA evidence has finally seemed to have also proven a link.

Thor Hyerdahl certainly proved the possibilities that the native peoples of South America could have travelled out into the Pacific and there was a connection between South America and Easter Island and Easter Island is the Eastern extension of the Polynesian triangle.

It is therefore highly likely that people arrived, certainly in New Zealand, from South America back in the dawn of time and who knows...they may have even explored or arrived in parts of Australia. If the map is not likely to be all that old then the explanations above are all valid ideas

Juicy

Greenie
Oct 8, 2012
Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2
Whitees Dualfield PI
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Who is queenslands 'better known treasure hunter' ? I amount of the loop ...I am always keen to join in an expedition if you have a plan.
Juicy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread