Is this an old military bar pin I found

INredneck

Jan 17, 2013
ForumRunner_20150331_205200.png

ForumRunner_20150331_205214.png

I don't know enough about military pieces but this looks like a military bar pin to me. I found in in my yard still like everything else I have found so far. This 1888 house of mine keeps surprising me. If anybody can tell me how old this could be and what it stood for would be great thanks and HH

Upvote 2

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Its not a military accoutrement, as it is not an accoutrement given directive by the United States Army Institute of Heraldry. Meaning it is not prescribed for wear on any military uniform.

It is, however, a DOD-approved lapel pin, if that makes sense.

Its called a "Blue Star Service Banner"... Yours is the lapel pin version. They came to be back during the first world war... Believe it or not, the DOD treats it very similar to ribbons/medals that denote merit or valor... For example, the DOD has mandated guidelines for the manufacture, display, and wear of both the Gold/Blue Star banners and lapel pins. Only authorized manufacturers under American jurisdiction can produce them, and only under strict government license.

Blue Star - Family Members currently in military service to their country.

Gold Star - Family members killed while in service to their country.

Silver Star - (relatively) newly approved - family members injured in service to their country.

Assuming you do not yourself - It would be really awesome if you could clean it up some and find a close friend/acquaintance who has a family member on active duty... I'd rank that above a "class ring return"!

Nice find!

~Tejaas~

OP
OP
INredneck

INredneck

Jan 17, 2013
Thank you for the information, it is very interesting information. I know it doesn't belong to me so I am gonna be doing some research on whose family it might belong to thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread