1.2 MB · Views: 117

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you chip a tiny piece off? If so hold a flame to it and see if it burns. Check out the smell if it does. I have some that smells just like pine.

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you chip a tiny piece off? If so hold a flame to it and see if it burns. Check out the smell if it does. I have some that smells just like pine.

Or just heat a needle, holding it with pliers of course and see if it will go into a one of the nodules if it does check for pine smell as mentioned above.

BTW nice find, looks like a limb cast to me and the nodules look as if they could be amber. If they are indeed amber I'd say you have a rare find.

OP
OP
P

patraney

Jun 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it does not chip and a hot needle will not penetrate it.... It is definitely oozing out the wood though. Thanks for your help..

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
While I believe that the nodules/droplets are Amber, due to the O.P.'s testing of them, they are apparently not what we would normally refer to as Amber! The hardest Amber comes from Myanmar with a hardness of 3.0 and close behind is Amber from the Baltic regions with a hardness of 2.0-2.5 but the nodules/droplets in the O.P.'s petrified wood specimen are apparently much harder. This leads me to believe that they mixed with other substances as they were squeezed out of the wood and they actually went through a process where they became agatized. I could be wrong but them having the lack of the rich orangish/yellow, orangish/brown or yellow/brown colors often seen in the variety of Amber specimens from around the world and due to them being extremely hard and impervious to a heated pin/needle, leads me to believe that the nodules/droplets are agatized. Also, the appearance of the inside of some of the broken shattered nodules/droplets, point to this as well as they appear somewhat crystalline.

Frank

Inyo

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Deleted by author.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions