It wasnt a button... something else entirely!

appleshampoogal

Greenie
Dec 10, 2014
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATpro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It wasn't a button... something else entirely!

I usually go practice hunting at an abandoned ballfield right next to an old Civil War fort (mostly hoping for relics but it hasn't been the case yet).
In the time I've been working the field I've found countless numbers of bottle caps and pull tabs from locals using the area for their vices, one Wheatie, and a bunch of random stuff that doesn't seem to belong...
One day I found half of a 1960s solid perfume compact (the pic shown is what it would have looked like, I found the top piece)
I also found an entire iron stove stop. This latest find, however, had me interested... I thought it was an old coat button but it turned out to be something completely different! It's an old 1950s bike reflector - these were used on Schwinn Balloon Tire 9 and 6-Hole racks and other vintage bicycle racks. Also used on antique automobile and motorcycle license plates. The back reads "Charles Gulotta Co., Glendale NY, USA"
Very interesting, and something I never would have guessed!
Perfume compact -
houbigant.jpg
Bike Reflector -
028.JPG 029.JPG

Upvote 5

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job on the relics ShampooGirl...So near a Civil War fort I'm sure you'll unearth something 1800's soon. :thumbsup:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just never know what you are going to find:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions