Its Been a Long Fall... In More Ways Than One!

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's Been a Long Fall... In More Ways Than One!

Hi everyone! Its been a while since I posted, and for that I can only blame myself. I haven't detected since the first week of October because I've had my right arm in a cast since the second week in October.

I've spent all summer buying up classic Japanese motorcycles - old 1970's Honda's, Yamaha's, Suzuki's, and Kawasaki's, with the intent of working on them this winter and flipping them in the Spring. I've got a whole shed of them now: 14 bikes! All I had to do is get my JD tractor restoration completed and out of my shop to make room for some bike rebuilds.

The last thing I had to do was to repaint the rear axle housings and install them on the transaxle, install the rear end and drive it out. So there I was, standing at my sandblast cabinet, impatiently waiting for my old and tired compressor to catch its breath. Anxious to get the big green beast out of my shop and back into service, I shut everything down and hopped into my truck and drove an hour to Lowes to buy a big honkin' 80-gallon compressor. Hey, after all I could justify it for all the bike rebuilds, right? :laughing7:

Anyway, I had a great drive. The people at Lowes were great (for once), loaded my behemoth compressor onto the back of my truck with a forklift, and waved goodbye as I drove off with it ratchet-strapped-down good and tight. I stopped by taco bell for a burrito and headed home.

Now this compressor weighs in around 240lbs. It was bolted to a pallet. When I got home, I padded a dolly with some foam pipe insulation so I wouldn't scratch up my purdy new compressor, and strapped the compressor tightly. I tested the weight of it, and determined that I was superman, and that I still had enough juice in this 57 year-old body to get the compressor down off my pickup bed using my motorcycle ramp. Yeah right. :-\

Halfway down the ramp, I stumbled and put both hands out to break my fall on the pavement. My right wrist broke - shattered, and I made a serious sprain to my left wrist. I also smacked my face real good on the left side.

I looked at my right wrist, and it was shaped kind of like an accordion. The left wrist was throbbing and so was my face - bleeding a little, but not badly. I called my wife at the hospital where she works, and told her what happened. She said she'd send an ambulance, and I said - like a ******* - I'll drive myself in.

So I did. By then the pain was so bad that I was almost passing out. I was panting and sweating. Upon arriving at the ER, my wife and her coworkers were ready for me, and took me right in for xray.

They all had huge eyeballs looking at the xray, and then ordered a cat scan. Then they called in the orthopedic surgeon. Apparently I broke it real good - so good that the surgeon had me on the operating table for five hours. One titanium plate and 12 screws later, its all back together. Apparently the tip of the ulna had smashed real bad, like it opened right up like a flower, destroying the socket. The surgeon took his time and really did it right - like it was a source of pride for him - and I'm glad he did.

Unbelievable pain the first week or so. Thank God for Oxycodone. I only took that stuff for a week though. I was fearful of getting addicted to it. I've heard so many horror stories about it, not to mention how it binds you up solid so you have to take laxatives and stool softeners to "keep the mail moving."

Anyway, so did I mention I'm right-handed? Its hard for me to wipe my butt left-handed, let alone swing a detector. And I miss it.

One thing is for sure; I have a whole new understanding and empathy for people who have lost a limb or only have the use of one arm.

So I've been in this cast for over 6 weeks I guess, and I get a new cast today, which I will have to wear another 5 weeks. *sigh*

Anyway! Thanks for reading. I dropped in to tell you guys I'm still alive and kickin' and will be swinging a detector some time in February when we hit St. Augustine for a little vacation!

P.S. Typing all of this with one hand really sucks! :tongue3:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought of you the other day, wondered why I haven't see you on TNet... was actually thinking about that SLQ you found in Myrtle Beach... and how I need to do better research on old schools... anyway...

I am sorry to hear about your accident. I wish you a most speedy recovery.

I broke my right hand as a young man, and remember wrestling the toilet paper with my left hand...

Get well soon!

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear the pain you're going through, but on a good note, your left handed spell checker works fantastic!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought of you the other day, wondered why I haven't see you on TNet... was actually thinking about that SLQ you found in Myrtle Beach... and how I need to do better research on old schools... anyway...

I am sorry to hear about your accident. I wish you a most speedy recovery.

I broke my right hand as a young man, and remember wrestling the toilet paper with my left hand...

Get well soon!

lol... :)

ABOUT the TP... NOT your injury. heh

PS<> Speedy recovery Higgs.

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm bored off my skull. All I do now is research and study. Its all I CAN do, lol. Yep, I figure in another 5 weeks of this I'll be a genius. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol... :)

ABOUT the TP... NOT your injury. heh

PS<> Speedy recovery Higgs.

Oh you have no idea how weird and awkward it is. Its like having a stranger do it every time... and uncoordinated stranger.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
brother I too was wondering where ya been.Man,what a bummer.I sure do hope all heals well and you can get back to those bikes and your passion.god speed !!!!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best wishes Hig. And I bet it will still take awhile for the wrist to operate without some discomfort even later... but I hope not for ya.

I used my right fist yesterday for a needed "adjustment" instead of getting a hammer and my wrist / knuckles are sore today.... BUT NOT LIKE YOURS!!!!!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang it Higgy! Ouchie.

That pesky J.D.(what model?) is really taking up space from bike projects...maybe you should get rid of it. Ship it to Michigan maybe? l.o.l..

Get healed man. Awful break(s).

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
We could get a group together and come up to your place and dig up your yard if it will make you fee better.

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang it Higgy! Ouchie.

That pesky J.D.(what model?) is really taking up space from bike projects...maybe you should get rid of it. Ship it to Michigan maybe? l.o.l..

Get healed man. Awful break(s).

Its a 1988 John Deere 1050 with bucket loader and backhoe. Yanmar 3-cylinder. Seals blew in the wheel axles and they were the old kind that had springs to help the rubber seal against a turning axle shaft. One of the seal springs came off and was chewed up in the gears. I had to completely tear it down and inspect/rebuild.

The good news is that I got my new cast and now I can use my elbow. Today's xrays show good healing, and all of those splinters are starting to fill in. Doc says I really only need three more weeks in this cast! Yay!

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We could get a group together and come up to your place and dig up your yard if it will make you fee better.

Sure! I got enough shovels for everyone! Wait a sec... no way because I spent a ton of cash on seed and fertilizer this year just to get it looking nice again.

Hmm... I got plenty of wood to split...

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Higgy sorry about the wrist. What part of NH.? RH. difficult for me LOL!

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got my new cast on yesterday. The xrays show that its all healing quite nicely. In fact, the doctor said I only need THREE weeks of this cast and then I AM DONE! Woot!

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Funny thing you may find with this. I broke my left forearm, 2 compound fractures, when I was 6, the day before school started.
I was naturally left handed, but was taught to do things right handed because of this, like writing.

Today, I write, shoot, and eat left handed. Everything else like tossing a ball I do right handed. And to make matters worse, I can't shoot a left handed bolt action gun worth a darn, I have all right handed guns. It's like the mind just never made up it's own mind after the break, and figured it would do some things one hand, and others with the other hand.

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Funny thing you may find with this. I broke my left forearm, 2 compound fractures, when I was 6, the day before school started.
I was naturally left handed, but was taught to do things right handed because of this, like writing.

Today, I write, shoot, and eat left handed. Everything else like tossing a ball I do right handed. And to make matters worse, I can't shoot a left handed bolt action gun worth a darn, I have all right handed guns. It's like the mind just never made up it's own mind after the break, and figured it would do some things one hand, and others with the other hand.

Well I'm thinking that I'll wind up semi-ambidextrous. When I went through boot camp (back in the '70s), I shot a perfect score at the range, and did it consistently. They went nuts over it, and started training all kinds of stuff with me and several other guys who scored high. One of the consistent things we were taught was to shoot off-handed, and off-eyed. Man, I got used to it! Trouble is, I've grown very right-dominant over the years. One thing is certain; my left hand is a lot stronger and more coordinated now for sure.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread