Junk box find

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Just been rummaging through some old junk boxes. The reason being to make up some lots for ebay. Came across this, when I took some macro pictures, the beaded decoration showed up. Been looking at it for a while now, starting to think it could be old. The design on the handle looks like two beasts facing. The key is solid not hollow, the thick thread shows, it was used I think to tighten something. I'm beginning to wonder if this is from an early stringed instrument (very early). Robert.

Attachments

• IMG_7797.JPG
    IMG_7797.JPG
    483.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_7794.JPG
    IMG_7794.JPG
    434.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_7796.JPG
    IMG_7796.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 111
Upvote 9

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not seen one, although it looks screw like, I wonder if its decoration & its a 17th C Pipe Tamper?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've totally seen these before. They're from the 1920's "Order of Masonic Moose" Lodge posts. They were given out as markers of achievement. The one you have specifically is for the 4th order of Harmony (as indicated in the heart-shaped design with the moose antlers touching in the center.) The 4th order of harmony was attained by both accomplishment of service (years in) and accomplishment of status (vote). Basically, you had to be around long enough and be well liked enough to be awarded the achievement.

The 4th Order of Harmony was typically worn in the hat strap (as with most of the Masonic Moose achievements).

This particular order was founded in Richmond VA, in the mid-1800's, and moved Westward. Based on the number of rings on the shaft and the heart shape's tall construction, though, this particular achievement award was granted in the Philadelphia, PA chapter. As the "City of Brotherly Love" Philidelphia had a long history of Masonic Moose Lodge membership up until the 1950's when they just kind of fizzled out post-war.

You can find out everything you need to about the Masonic Moose Lodge Achievements here: http://bit.do/masonicmooseachievements

Cheers!

Skippy

And you think it found its way to the North of England?? (Possible, but not very likely)

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a musical string tensioner, probably of a guitar. But no idea of age Rob.

SS

Attachments

• AX_Music_Man_Bongo_5_Head_Rear.jpg
    AX_Music_Man_Bongo_5_Head_Rear.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 63

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread