Just an idea

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Although most here probably and hopefully get the importance of phys PMs over paper PMs, there is a way that paper PMs can be better than phys in small amounts and for specific purposes.

What I am referring to are the various ETF's associated with PMs. For those who don't know, an ETF stands for exchange traded fund which functions for the most part like a share of stock and can be bought and sold as such via your stock trading account.

I am waiting until I believe silver has finally bottomed then will put a little into an ETF called AGQ, which is a leveraged (2X) ETF which means for every 1% silver goes up in price, this ETF goes up 2%, and down the same way.

Let's say paper silver falls to $10 by late summer or fall and there is no phys available at that price because the price fell so fast and the mines won't sell at 50% or more losses, a person could get in right at that price via an ETF with the only "premiums" being your regular stock trading commissions.

Another reason I want to do this is because if/when silver finally goes up, there will be a point I will want to sell some just to get that profit (say 50% or 100%, etc) and I don't want to part with my phys silver. I don't plan on buying any more silver over $23 or so per ounce (paper price) so whatever phys I have at that price will be it. Thus I can use the ETF to buy and sell on dips and such and not touch my metals which will have to last me forever once silver breaks 30, 40, 50, etc. The leveraged part is nice to if the market is moving in your direction. You can double the rate of return over if you held that amount in phys.

Note that a downside to leveraged ETF's is something called time decay. Your "shares" can lose value over time even if the market stays flat. This is somehow due to the underlying assets of the ETF (such as futures, etc). So you don't want to hold them long term if the price is not going the right way for you. Better to get out than hold long term.

Again, there is no substitute for phys for 90% of your holdings (I just made that figure up). But the other 10% could be utilized in other ways. Also could consider an inverse ETF that goes up when silver goes down, like ZSL that could hedge your phys stash.

There are also 3X leveraged silver ETN's (exchange traded note-- don't know what that is vs. ETF but functions the same I guess), but I don't think I will use those.

Just my opinion.

Jim

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
To elaborate a little on Jim's comments, there are two big differences between an ETF and ETN.

An ETF is similar to a mutual fund, it has underlying assets, but relies on the market to set the price of its shares. Because there is great transparency in the reporting of the underlying assets, arbitrage activity ensures that the traded market price of an ETF follows closely with the value of those assets.

An ETN is a note (promise to pay), in an amount based on a financial benchmark (in our case, say a silver futures value). One advantage of an ETN is that the price will perfectly track the underlying benchmark. As an ETN is typically issued by a bank, there is counterparty risk involved (ie. the bank could go under and the security become worthless).

Personally, I've held ETFs before (Not PMs though), but stay away from ETNs.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry guys but I just shudder just at the mention of PAPER. Paper Rots, Coins Do Not. Keep Stacking

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've actually done fairly well using the SLV ETF to time prices and take profits. This of course was when silver was going up. It is much harder to do when silver is going down. Paper may rot but it usually takes a while for that rot to occur. So if you sell fairly quickly as Jim is suggesting you can easily take profits that you wouldn't be able to take going the physical route. How many of us actually sold off our physical when silver was near $50? Not me. I could have sold it all and bought it all back now at 50% off. But that's the way physical works. You have a very hard time selling physical because of:

1. The emotional attachment. It's like breaking up with a pretty girlfriend. You know you should do it but she is just so darned nice to look at.
2. The "best price" dance. You have to shop around for the company that is going to give you the best price. You don't want seller's remorse.
3. The hasle of shipping. You physically have to get up off of your lazy butt, package up all of your PM's, and head to the post office.
4. The spread. You just can't buy and sell without being killed by the spread.

With paper there is no emotional attachment, you don't need to shop around for the best price because the price is given, you sell with the click of a mouse, and there is no spread beyond the small trading fee. As a short term investment you can't beat paper.

I will also say that there could be special tax implications for buying and selling ETF's and ETN's. I've never had to worry about them because I've always purchased my SLV through my IRA account. But if you are buying through a taxable brokerage account then you will need to understand these differences. In some ETF's you are considered a "partner" and will even receive a K-1 form.

When I think silver has finally bottomed out and is heading back up I will likely do the same thing that Jim is recommending. I will stick with SLV to decrease the risk.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Well the tax shouldn't be that much of a hindrance if the capital outlay isn't over 4 figures. The worry
factor may be rather high instead. Staying ahead of metal prices is a taxing business, how much loss
can you stand, are you getting unbiased advice?

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the tax shouldn't be that much of a hindrance if the capital outlay isn't over 4 figures. The worry
factor may be rather high instead. Staying ahead of metal prices is a taxing business, how much loss
can you stand, are you getting unbiased advice?

My point wasn't that taxes should keep you from doing this. My point was that if you do it you need to understand the tax implications. Silver and gold investments tend to be taxed at the 28% rate rather than the 15% rate used for long term securities. This is close to twice the amount of taxes. Again, that shouldn't necessarily stop you because I would never "not make money" just because I had to pay taxes. But you can get yourself into trouble if you don't declare the gains correctly on your tax forms. Just something else to consider when dealing with PM ETFs and ETNs.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! TP welcome back and here I am agreeing with you on the Paper Rots theory but then you put me off again by mentioning Taxes. Lol

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! TP welcome back and here I am agreeing with you on the Paper Rots theory but then you put me off again by mentioning Taxes. Lol

Yeah, those darn taxes. I forgot to mention that as #5 in my list above. Although there are tax implications either way regardless of whether it is paper of physical, no one seems to struggle with the idea of paying taxes on paper. Physical on the other hand, makes us pause and wonder if we should risk it and try to get away with not paying the taxes on our sale. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread