Just an Idea!

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm certainly not the person to do it but I was wondering if a sticky should be made that breaks down different types of lithics and tools. Projectile points, bannerstones, hammer stones, hefted and unhafted, you get the picture. Detail pics that show the work. Examples of grinding, pecking, drilling, etc... different knapping styles. Even just showing what a worked edge looks like. This may reduce frustration on the parts of both the experts and the original posters. It can also help people like myself who are learning. Often times simply being told that an object hasn't been modified isn't a sufficient answer when one is holding said object and looking at details. Perhaps being able to conduct a visual comparison before a cycle of frustration and being butt hurt ensues is a good approach... Thanks!

Upvote 0

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like this idea! If it was placed as a "sticky" people could refer posters to the "sticky" thread.

I, myself, have posted a couple of finds that could just be natural stone, but because because of the material, shape and where I found them (among real worked pieces) they were curious to me.

Some things, we'll just never know, as one could certainly use a natural rock as some sort of tool....

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great idea but most of the people that are mods around here and other sites actually do it for free. They dont get paid is what I am saying and all have normal lifes just like the rest of us do. Just dont know if it would get done.

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think that is an awesome idea! Another forum (different type) that I'm on has a fantastic set up with links for beginners, e books, video links etc. It is really helpful for the members who are learning and need visuals and explanation. I am willing to help if there is any way I can. I'm not a mod, but I can share links and pics that helped me. Sandchip posted a great one for me to help me understand basal grinding. I bet there are a lot of great examples from the members on here. :)

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be real hard to cover all the subjects you are talking about on one post. Maybe we could do some post and name the post helpful hints on(what ever the subject). Then when wondering about a term you could look it up with the header helpful hints?

OP
OP
CHUDs

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a sub forum on different subjects. Honestly, pictures say the most. It's a matter of getting good macro shots on particularly telling spots. I also get that the mods do this as a service and it's appreciated. Im just trying to learn along the way and not clog up forums with geofacts.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be real hard to cover all the subjects you are talking about on one post. Maybe we could do some post and name the post helpful hints on(what ever the subject). Then when wondering about a term you could look it up with the header helpful hints?

If some very experienced and knowledgeable members want to make threads on the topics requested they can be sticky to the top of the forums. If enough threads were made we could make a sub forum, it is a very time consuming endeavor.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, very time consuming and difficult to keep in an orderly format without getting clogged with "Is this one?" posts, then replies to those, then differing opinions, etc. Many members make posts without even a clue as to what state they're in and expect us to be able to indentify a particular type. Some are hard enough to pin down even when we do know what part of the country it's from. It would be a mess to keep things from becoming a cluster. We're probably doing okay as is, although it is a noble gesture to suggest and in a perfect world would be the bomb.

OP
OP
CHUDs

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, is it possible to create a no-reply sub-forum or sticky? Simply informational? Detail and macro pics of the worked areas. I understand that what I'm proposing is a tremendous amount of work. I'm just trying to arm newbies, myself included, with a gathered resource. I've posted things here that didn't get one reply...and I suspect it's because the older members occasionally find it tedious to look through pics of finds that may or may not be geofacts. It can be a real turn off to learning when one isn't provided the resources to do so. I understand that it's also no ones responsibility to educate myself or other individuals. I belong to some mushroom hunting forums and we get lots of "is this edible?" with no context regarding the find and incomplete pics. We try to help individuals with macro and microscopic features for identification purposes. Simple chemical tests, etc... it's a different ballgame as no has died, to the best of my knowledge, by incorrectly identifying a projectile point! Just ideas...thanks for humoring me!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
there are a lot of very detailed web sites that are specific to regions.....

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We considered it about 5 years back in here. I think some other forums have done that now. There are so many types that it would be easy for things to be posted and never seen. If they were stickies it would end up being 5 pages before you got to the forum. I suggest we members show like examples when asking for identification if the original posters ask them to do so. Sometimes a thread can be hijacked by an over eager poster with frames of their points.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread