DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just another Civil War Bullet... But My Yard Wasn't A Battlefield

Yes, yes, I know.... a Civil War bullet is no big deal but as some of you know, I only hunt in my yard. So for me, it's pay dirt! With all of the digging the ground shifts after each big rain. I always find something new in a spot I've check dozens of times. While relying on my beginner detector-- the other one is still broken-- I've been able to find some great little trinkets. So far, 3 Civil War bullets, musket ball and grapeshot-- All in my yard! Based on CW maps, I've come to the conclusion that our property was near a camp site.

Today a snap and a dropped lead bullet. It looks to be a 3 ring but it's hollow on the inside. I couldn't see anything stamped on the interior.

School me Obi Wan...

IMG_3341.jpg IMG_3342.jpg IMG_3343.jpg IMG_3343.jpg IMG_3344.jpg IMG_3345.jpg :icon_scratch:

Upvote 8

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't school ya, but congrats nice finds! No gas money involved! Awesome!

It may have been a stopping place over numerous years for multiple troops, is there a water supply close by?

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if it's a williams bore cleaner bullet missing the plunger and zinc washer?

OP
OP
D

DCMetal

Jun 3, 2014
Washington, DC
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if it's a williams bore cleaner bullet missing the plunger and zinc washer?
Okay, I don't know about that one, I'll look it up. It does look like a piece that might have had something in it. Thanks for the info-- Cheers!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
looks to be a union "Williams cleaner type bullet" -- if so it used to have a zinc based flat type base and post that went into the bullet's body --- it was rammed down fouled dirty barrels to scrape them clean , so they coul;d be used -- because they were slightly bigger than normal bullets were they were very hard to load , and troops hated them .. often troops culled them from their bullet packs --throwing them away as intact "drops"...if fired the bases come apart from the bullet ..normally

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep Williams Cleaner...

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey man, there were camps all over the DC area and with them would come target ranges, firing zones (soldiers were not permitted to enter camp with a loaded weapon) etc. I have found fired bullets in peace-time camps (May 1865) all par for the course.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
lots of union troops were camped around Washington DC during the civil war in case of rebel attack...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread