king george???

bufaloeletric

Oct 27, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Umax, Tesoro Outlaw, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think i found a king georeg coin the other day. Can't really say. Needs to be cleaned a bit, but not sure how to go bout it the right way? Any advice would be a huge help..

think about it really hard before you do anything to it. could you live with the fact of ruining it. heres an 1864 two cent piece i tried cleaning. it gives me that sick feeling in my stomach every time i think about it. at least do some heavy research before doing anything to it, i might have done a better job if only id done a little more reading on the subject. two cent piece 003.JPG two cent piece 006.JPG ruined 001.JPG ruined 003.JPG

in the couple weeks since, it has deteriorated to the point that i cant even read the date on it anymore.

bufaloeletric

Oct 27, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
makes me sick right now just looking at the pics, and trust me, the photos do it a lot more justice than what it appears like to the naked eye.

Last edited:

bufaloeletric

Oct 27, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
olive oil and vinegar are weak acids that will eat away at the patina when given time. once the patina is gone, i dont think there is an artificial one that fills in the pits left from cleaning. plus olive oil will seal in moisture so that the acids can keep eating away from the inside. do you know what these coins metal composition are? post some pics too if you can, id like to see.

bufaloeletric

Oct 27, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh yea, i keep remembering other things to say. if you try and clean it or not you should find some of those silica gel bags that come with items such as new shoes, dry them in an oven at 180 degrees farenheit and place them in an airtight container with the coin to remove moisture from the air around it. helps stop the corrosion that occurs as soon as its exposed to a new environment. these are just a few of the things ive learned while trying to turn my bad coin experience into a positive one. have a good one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread