Knowledge of a few spots I wont be able to hunt.

Trollfish

Feb 4, 2013
South East Indiana
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knowledge of a few spots I won't be able to hunt.

I was raised in Central , PA, just south of Sunbury on the Susquehanna River. The area has a lot of colonial history as it was a thoroughfare for travelers heading North and South in the east.
Specifically is Fort Augusta in the town of Sunbury, a British outpost with a museum of artifacts from that era.
There is also Penn’s Tavern, south of the town of Sunbury, where legend has it that George Washington stayed prior to the Revolutionary War. My father did a lot of the restoration of Penn’s Tavern to return it to its colonial look that it has today. I think he did most of the work for free beer, but that is another story.
I was raised in the middle between Sunbury and Penn’s Tavern, on Jew’s Hollow Road. And this is the main reason for this post.
The story goes, that a Jewish Diamond Dealer was murdered in that hollow by two individuals. He was said to have been carrying on his person, a large amount of diamonds and gems. The two individuals were caught and executed at the Northumberland Jail for the murder. No trace of the gems were ever found.
This is how the Hollow became named Jews Hollow Road.
The Jew was known to have stayed at a boarding house on Hallowing Run just north of Penn’s Tavern. Legend has it that he inscribed, the names of his killers in a window in the room he rented with a diamond. Apparently after his demise no less; hence giving the stream nearby the name Hallowing Run, where his ghost searches for his lost gems.
Now any of this may be true or inflated, take it for what is worth. All of these places exist and are on the map. This includes the home where I was raised.
In that hollow there are three old foundations that have been reduced to almost nothing. The house that I was raised in, the first house from the bottom of the hollow was built in 1890. So those other foundations were older than that.
I have a collection of glass artifacts from the 1800’s that I found in my travels and adventures throughout that hollow and surrounding areas.
Since I did not MD back then, I believe the area has been untouched.
My family no longer owns any property there after the passing of my parents, but a kind permission request would probably gain access.
The first foundation is just at the mouth of the hollow nest to route 147. It is on the south side of the road and up the hill aways.
The second is in the middle of the hollow and has a huge dumpsite, that underneath the modern trash, I found beer bottles as old as 1870 with porcelain tops.
The third foundation seems to have been a farm; it is in the woods, about a ÂĽ mile up the hill from the gated driveway with lions on perches. It is about 400 yards off the North side of the road and can be easily found in spring by the proliferation of daffodils and grape hyacinth that have been growing there long after the lady of the house passed.
I don’t have contact with any of our old neighbors, but they were nice people and would probably let someone on to hunt if respect and courtesy was given.
There just may be a treasure trove there. If you hunt my old front yard, I am still missing my lead cast British regiment I used to play with as a kid. I blew them up with firecrackers in a battle underneath the Tulip Poplar tree in the front of the house.
Google Earth shows these places fairly clearly. The address for our Place was as follows.
RD3 Box 16
Sunbury, PA 17801
I will never probably get back there to hunt it properly, so if you’re close enough, go have fun and let me know what you find.
Also the next hollow over heading north is Seasholtz Hollow. If you collect quartz crystals and don’t mind hiking through mosquitoes and sheer drop offs, there are plenty of nice ones to be found. They seem to pop out of the dirt just about everywhere. There are some abandoned stonewroks and a galena mine just up the river from there as well. Info on these is sparse, but the workings are old and long forgotten. The museum in town may have some info on them .
Best of luck if you go………

Upvote 1

Kevin5505

Apr 1, 2024
Knowledge of a few spots I won't be able to hunt.

I was raised in Central , PA, just south of Sunbury on the Susquehanna River. The area has a lot of colonial history as it was a thoroughfare for travelers heading North and South in the east.
Specifically is Fort Augusta in the town of Sunbury, a British outpost with a museum of artifacts from that era.
There is also Penn’s Tavern, south of the town of Sunbury, where legend has it that George Washington stayed prior to the Revolutionary War. My father did a lot of the restoration of Penn’s Tavern to return it to its colonial look that it has today. I think he did most of the work for free beer, but that is another story.
I was raised in the middle between Sunbury and Penn’s Tavern, on Jew’s Hollow Road. And this is the main reason for this post.
The story goes, that a Jewish Diamond Dealer was murdered in that hollow by two individuals. He was said to have been carrying on his person, a large amount of diamonds and gems. The two individuals were caught and executed at the Northumberland Jail for the murder. No trace of the gems were ever found.
This is how the Hollow became named Jews Hollow Road.
The Jew was known to have stayed at a boarding house on Hallowing Run just north of Penn’s Tavern. Legend has it that he inscribed, the names of his killers in a window in the room he rented with a diamond. Apparently after his demise no less; hence giving the stream nearby the name Hallowing Run, where his ghost searches for his lost gems.
Now any of this may be true or inflated, take it for what is worth. All of these places exist and are on the map. This includes the home where I was raised.
In that hollow there are three old foundations that have been reduced to almost nothing. The house that I was raised in, the first house from the bottom of the hollow was built in 1890. So those other foundations were older than that.
I have a collection of glass artifacts from the 1800’s that I found in my travels and adventures throughout that hollow and surrounding areas.
Since I did not MD back then, I believe the area has been untouched.
My family no longer owns any property there after the passing of my parents, but a kind permission request would probably gain access.
The first foundation is just at the mouth of the hollow nest to route 147. It is on the south side of the road and up the hill aways.
The second is in the middle of the hollow and has a huge dumpsite, that underneath the modern trash, I found beer bottles as old as 1870 with porcelain tops.
The third foundation seems to have been a farm; it is in the woods, about a ÂĽ mile up the hill from the gated driveway with lions on perches. It is about 400 yards off the North side of the road and can be easily found in spring by the proliferation of daffodils and grape hyacinth that have been growing there long after the lady of the house passed.
I don’t have contact with any of our old neighbors, but they were nice people and would probably let someone on to hunt if respect and courtesy was given.
There just may be a treasure trove there. If you hunt my old front yard, I am still missing my lead cast British regiment I used to play with as a kid. I blew them up with firecrackers in a battle underneath the Tulip Poplar tree in the front of the house.
Google Earth shows these places fairly clearly. The address for our Place was as follows.
RD3 Box 16
Sunbury, PA 17801
I will never probably get back there to hunt it properly, so if you’re close enough, go have fun and let me know what you find.
Also the next hollow over heading north is Seasholtz Hollow. If you collect quartz crystals and don’t mind hiking through mosquitoes and sheer drop offs, there are plenty of nice ones to be found. They seem to pop out of the dirt just about everywhere. There are some abandoned stonewroks and a galena mine just up the river from there as well. Info on these is sparse, but the workings are old and long forgotten. The museum in town may have some info on them .
Best of luck if you go………
Hi. My name is Kevin. My mom use to live in the house on the right past the lions gated driveway. Her name was Riland

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP DÄ“us II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi. My name is Kevin. My mom use to live in the house on the right past the lions gated driveway. Her name was Riland
Hello Kevin,
Just so you know.... the OP hasn't logged on since 2013.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread