Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And another mystery. Was down here in the northern San Luis Valley going along on the county road west of La Garita after sunrise and saw a horse up ahead standing in the road. Not unusual to see livestock on the road in this part of the country. He didn't move out of the way, so I eased around him on the left and noticed he had a halter on. And there was a saddle on the side of the road. Nobody out and about for miles at that time of day. I didn't locate a rider, and saw tracks where a vehicle had pulled over and did a turn around. He wouldn't move out of the road and acted like his back left leg might have been injured. Went on to climb up through La Ventana and he was gone when I came back about 3 hours later.

Attachments

• 7-2a.jpg
    7-2a.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 7-2b.jpg
    7-2b.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 7-2c.jpg
    7-2c.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 7-2d.jpg
    7-2d.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 7-2e.jpg
    7-2e.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 37

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe the horse is lame. Maybe the owner could not do the deed. ╦╦C

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice pics, Rginn. There's a story with that horse, probably never know. Hope it's a better one than it appears.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent photos I see you like the area I find it interesting to.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a find day. It's a neat place to explore around there and I'd love to take some time to explore it in more detail.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a lot more pics of that horse just to have in case it turns out to be a crime scene, I guess. Notice one end of the reins has been tore loose from the bit. If you walk off and leave a horse, you don't leave the saddle like that. The cinch was undone, not cut or broke. I didn't notice a saddle blanket or pad laying around anywhere. Horse was walking on the road from the west, along with another one who turned around and went back. Couldn't search up who that Bar W Bar brand belongs to, but I guess everything turned out ok. Yeah TR, you ever get down there, check that part of the valley out.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it possible that there is no phone coverage there and the owner took the saddle off to relieve the horse's burden until he could walk down to call for help? Many possibilities. Some good, some bad. ╦╦C

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
or Possibly Got a ride For the Trailer.
If that's the case i'm Surprised he trusted the Horse would wait Though.
I would think he would have used the Saddle as a tie down till he got back.

Since the Only thing I Know about Horses is, That is One :tongue3:

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the saddle was placed there so the horse would stay there with it. Very rural area. Little chance someone would come by soon so the owner walked. ╦╦C

EDIT: (If the rider got a lift, right there, he would have taken the saddle with him.... unless he knew the horse would stay with the saddle.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No telling. They might have used the saddle as a tie down and the horse jerked loose, and that's why the saddle is standing up and one end of the reins is broke loose from the bit. He probably stayed cause he didn't want to put any weight on that leg for some reason. From vehicle tracks I'm pretty sure somebody picked the rider up. Moderate traffic through there during the day as that's the way locals use to go to Del Norte, not so many tourists on that section. Good thing, I didn't spot any blood on the ground. That's why I like that part of the country, always somethin unusual goin on, haha!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does look like a Nice area to Explore

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice photos, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PeteyGirl knows horses. She tells me that some are even trained to "stay" if the reins are hanging to the ground. I'll ask her if the saddle was placed like that to keep dirt and needles out of the padding. ╦╦C

EDIT: She says it would often be laid down like that but never on the horn. Of course, I am not a horseman so anything I say (said) is pure speculation.

Last edited:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice photos of a nice looking area. Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread