sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are a couple of small, but old parks that I have been eyeing lately. Unfortunately they are smack dab in the middle of the ghetto and are usually infested with thugs. Well finally one of them was free of transients and gangsters so I did a quick hunt.

I got a high signal and pulled out a junk watch. I rescanned the hole and got a solid 12-40 on the E-Trac. I dug down a few more inches and pulled out this token. It's listed on Tokencatalog (#TC-371070) as being from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. It's interesting that it made it's way to Central California.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429069661.289293.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429069690.269012.jpg

rgreever

Feb 19, 2011
This token was made by L.A. Rubber Stamp Company... To me, it's surprising it's attributed to Iowa. No other example of this reverse shows up outside California and Arizona....

I wonder if Frank Cervantes started in California and moved to Iowa... I think this token dates earlier than the 1942-1952 dates for Cedar Rapids, but so far, no California reference has been found.

Richard - from TokenCatalog.com

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Richard is correct - the 1942-52 Cedar Rapids City Directories show the Frank Cervantes there as a laborer, not a labor contractor, so I'd call BS on the Iowa attribution. The token looks to me to be a "piecework" token. In the California context that would mean fruit or produce picking or packing. But I am unsure why the token would be 25¢ in trade rather than "one bushel" or some such.
John in the Great 208

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like you live in Fresno :laughing7:

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions: