Lake Erie and the mysterious treasure ships that went down

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many stories have been told about the old lake, many boat, ships vessels have been taken to the bottom various reasons, weather, enemies a firing. So some folks say on rare occasions thing get washed ashore, so my question to you that no. Forget YouTube, barbershop gossip what’s the real story of the lake and the treasures that lay beneath the waters,

coin pirate

Feb 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lived near or around Lake Erie(Cleveland) most of my life, even moving back there from WV next month, and in all my years, aside from scuttle-poop, I've never really heard about any "real" treasure stories

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Great Lakes hold the secrets of about 8,000 shipwrecks. Lake Erie covers 2,000 of them, among the highest concentration of wrecks in the world. Only about 375 of Lake Erie's wrecks have been found.Oct 17, 2017

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lake Erie

Cleveland Tiller Wreck May be Mackinaw
In 2010 Erie Wrecks authors Mike and Georgann Wachter discovered a two masted tiller steered schooner 18 miles off Cleveland, Ohio. Besides the 8 foot long tiller the vessel had a beautiful and unusual bow. No cargo was noted and since the wreck was 40... more »

New Lake Erie Shipwreck Map
We are pleased to announce that our 36" x 24" laminated "Shipwrecks of Lake Erie" chart is now available. This artistic chart provides accurate GPS locations, paintings of vessels as they sit today, and images of ships before they sank. Many new wreck... more »

Schooner Barge Commodore discovered in Lake Erie
Mike and Georgann Wachter authors of the Erie Wrecks series of books are pleased to announce the discovery of the schooner barge Commodore. This 170 foot long vessel was lost on June 17, 1918 while being towed from Cleveland to Sandwich Ontario. The aging... more »

Great Lakes Treasure Ship Found
The barque, New Brunswick, loaded with a cargo of black walnut lumber with an estimated value of over $100,000, was located in Lake Erie in 1980. more »

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
I would like to share 40 years finds hunting Lake Erie shore lines and folks and those interested and live by the Lake have so much to learn. I would only hunt the areas South of Buffalo NY to Westfield NY. In the early 1980s the lake water level was high. The area around me had this water treatment facility that sat on the lake shore line ... I was called by my buddy who said I must come to his house, he lived on the lake. In the water were 4 kids they were using shovels. They were finding gold rings, silver coins and Spanish reals. I could not believe it. To slow things down they showed me what to look for with lake conditions. They schooled me on conditions, slate, and sand conditions. They have been doing this type of locating in the same area for years .. They found over 30 reals, a 1795 silver dime sold for $2500.00 they found many many rings. No DETECTOR !! SO I paid attention to what to look for and over the years I learned alot and added a lot on what to look for. I know for a fact I have found more silver coins on the shores of Lake Erie that anyone. Its a strong statement but here are some of my better days, Over 800 coins with a shovel, Reals to new money, crosses rings, and many many silver in one day. Seven silver half dollars and loads of silver coins. Twenty seven (27) gold rings in two days and 21 sterling, 1655 Spanish Cob, Bending down and picking up a seated half, barber Half and so so much silver lying on the ground. . I have found over 180 gold rings from the lake. Its all about conditions. I can look at the shoreline and I am able to tell if the conditions are right . Granted some areas that have alot of activity were great producers but all areas had a good find or two. I showed people on what to look for but they dont live close to the lake like me. If conditions are right on my way to work .. I blow off work and I can be certain I will find 1-4 gold rings. The best find was found by my dad. It was a gold chain 46 inches long with large links weighted 3.5 ounces of 18K and it was very old. We also found on the shore a 14k Gold pocket watch ... Guts were trashed but gold is gold. I was going to wright a book about detecting and this was going to be a chapter with pictures and explanations. Anyway if someone is serious and lives near one of the great lakes the process I use may help if you have the same conditions as I. Send me an E Mail tell me a little about your area and some history of hunting the beach. I may share a few tips with you
and tell you what to look for., Remember this . People traveled the sand beaches to settle the OHIO valley, they played, swam and camped on the beach and yes they lost a lot on the beach. Many Many ships were lost and near me the water is only 30 feet deep these ships came onto shore and broke up spilling everything in the sand and shore. Folks its still there waiting for me or you to find it.. If you have some knowledge about a potential Shoreline site send me an E mail and we will talk ... With some pictures I may be able to help. Jim

searcher40

Greenie
Jun 11, 2007
I would like to share 40 years finds hunting Lake Erie shore lines and folks and those interested and live by the Lake have so much to learn. I would only hunt the areas South of Buffalo NY to Westfield NY. In the early 1980s the lake water level was high. The area around me had this water treatment facility that sat on the lake shore line ... I was called by my buddy who said I must come to his house, he lived on the lake. In the water were 4 kids they were using shovels. They were finding gold rings, silver coins and Spanish reals. I could not believe it. To slow things down they showed me what to look for with lake conditions. They schooled me on conditions, slate, and sand conditions. They have been doing this type of locating in the same area for years .. They found over 30 reals, a 1795 silver dime sold for $2500.00 they found many many rings. No DETECTOR !! SO I paid attention to what to look for and over the years I learned alot and added a lot on what to look for. I know for a fact I have found more silver coins on the shores of Lake Erie that anyone. Its a strong statement but here are some of my better days, Over 800 coins with a shovel, Reals to new money, crosses rings, and many many silver in one day. Seven silver half dollars and loads of silver coins. Twenty seven (27) gold rings in two days and 21 sterling, 1655 Spanish Cob, Bending down and picking up a seated half, barber Half and so so much silver lying on the ground. . I have found over 180 gold rings from the lake. Its all about conditions. I can look at the shoreline and I am able to tell if the conditions are right . Granted some areas that have alot of activity were great producers but all areas had a good find or two. I showed people on what to look for but they dont live close to the lake like me. If conditions are right on my way to work .. I blow off work and I can be certain I will find 1-4 gold rings. The best find was found by my dad. It was a gold chain 46 inches long with large links weighted 3.5 ounces of 18K and it was very old. We also found on the shore a 14k Gold pocket watch ... Guts were trashed but gold is gold. I was going to wright a book about detecting and this was going to be a chapter with pictures and explanations. Anyway if someone is serious and lives near one of the great lakes the process I use may help if you have the same conditions as I. Send me an E Mail tell me a little about your area and some history of hunting the beach. I may share a few tips with you
and tell you what to look for., Remember this . People traveled the sand beaches to settle the OHIO valley, they played, swam and camped on the beach and yes they lost a lot on the beach. Many Many ships were lost and near me the water is only 30 feet deep these ships came onto shore and broke up spilling everything in the sand and shore. Folks its still there waiting for me or you to find it.. If you have some knowledge about a potential Shoreline site send me an E mail and we will talk ... With some pictures I may be able to help. Jim

searcher40

Greenie
Jun 11, 2007
Hello Jim, I really enjoyed the article and would like to know more, I live in the Dunkirk area and I like detecting in the waters, I would like to learn more from you,
Thanks, Ej, [email protected]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread