Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spent the weekend with my mom-and-sis-in-law. They live in a private association up on the big lake. They have a private beach, which was established around 1970 to the best of my research. Never been hunted as far as I can tell. never been groomed, i.e. groomed with a machine. I was there for about 3 hours yesterday, enjoying the water and enjoying the pure sand. You can tell a place that has never had a population of dirtbags, because the underwater sand was giving up good targets and not too much in the way of foil, bottle caps and pull-tabs. If I had to give a ratio of good signals vs junk, I would have to say that junk came in around 25%.

Two rings, one toe-ring, $2.99 in clad, a game token, and four rail-smashed coins - one being a quarter. This makes seven flattened coins I have pulled from this spot, and I suspect its not the last.

I saw this ring pop out from under my waving hand, and got excited. Then I saw the tarnish. Ew. Silver at best I am thinking. The stamping has a couple undecipherable (by me) marks, and then the word Thailand.

It cleaned up okay, but I think it was dipped in some acrylic or something to prevent tarnish - which didn't work too good imho. You can see the scratches, and the edges where I didn't get the coating off as well as I should have to create a uniform luster. What do you guys think? Do you think its silver? I really should get a tester by golly.

Upvote 5

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice looking silver!! You going back? Looks like the place could hold more...

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Good see you getting some treasure Higgy. The ring cleaned up fairly well... looks silver to me. Congrats.

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys. Yeah Joe, I'll be going back in a week or two. Wife gets to visit with family and I get to MD. It's a win!

Next time I go, I'll be employing the OBN floating sifter method and my stealth scoop. All the targets were resting 6-8" down, with a few down a foot or more. Also, everything was in 5' of water or less, so next time I'll just leave the "skoober" gear at home.

Last edited:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NICE...................................................................

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds...can't wait to see what else you find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread