digger dad

May 6, 2016
Va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was my last day of vacation.. Back to the grind tomorrow. I wasn't going digging today I was just going to hang around the house with my son and nephew . We made it until about noon and my son made my day by asking " Dad can we go to the creek " I had already paced the floor and licked the windows enough .. I was in the truck with my At pro yelling at the boys to hurry up !! I decided to take them to the spot I found my first ever gold ring about a month ago . Boy I'm glad !!! I found my first bicentennial quarter ! I found wedding ring # 5 for the year a plain titanium FC band that shined up nice !! But the best find of the day was the best gold find for me to date it was a 1969 Massachusetts Institute of Technology class ring .I knew it was heavy and I knew it was 10 kt from the mark inside , but until I got home I didn't know how significant of a find it really was . This ring also known as the "Brass Rat " has its own wiki page that tells the whole story .. Apparently this school is for the genius type ! My son was so excited because this is the ring that Tony Stark weirs "AKA" Iron Man.. He thinks we found his most favorite super Heros ring !!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    889.8 KB · Views: 157
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    615.7 KB · Views: 161
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 155
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 152
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 163
Upvote 27

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Legend, AT Pro, Garret Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one hell of a ring friend! I'm drooling on myself over here! Amazing Find!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only a few "g" short of 31g which is a troy ounce of gold. Ten Karat may only be 41.7% of pure gold but wearing a ring that is almost a troy ounce in weight is huge.
Congrats on an amazing find.

OP
OP
digger dad

digger dad

May 6, 2016
Va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for checking it out .. Yes it is a big beautiful piece of artwork.. It will definitely will a heart breaker to let this one go !! Definitely the gold ring find of a lifetime!!

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
My goodness that is heavy! Congratulations on BIG gold! Thank you for the great story and background.......fun!

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's even better that we all get to share in your find and return. Try to take a pic of the guys reaction when you return it! Maybe it is someone famous.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm the same way... I've sold gold class rings, though, when I can't find the owners..

No guilt, there... The thing about class rings is that they're really not good for wearing, unless it's your own!

This hobby has taught me a lot about adding your NAME to a ring. But even then, it's a crap shoot. I found one here in town that had an HHS for the high school. There's only one HHS within 200 miles of me... and the year and name didn't match anyone within the school. I searched for probably 20 hours total across 6 months, and finally just sold it.

Funny thing was, I saw it about 2 weeks later on E-bay... (gold had jumped 20%). The seller was perfectly honest about it, too, even showing and listing the name.

Sometimes you just can't find the owners...

Skippy

I totally agree. I find a lot of rings from the 1930's and before. In fact every class ring I found this year so far have been from before 1939 (6 so far). If they were 18 when they graduated they would have been born in 1921. Which would make them 95 yrs old. I don't bother trying to find anyone that far back. I do the best I can and also sometimes come to a dead end. No pun intended!

Kwillie

May 28, 2016
Galveston Tx
Detector(s) used
Teknetics D 4000
Minelab excalibur II
Minelab go find 20
Garrett AT Pro.
Garrett ATX Deepseeker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow serious Gold, sure is exciting to pull out of the earth a treasure like that. Congratulations.

rainorshine

Oct 6, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry! Didn't mean to press the matter on the return. It's a beautiful ring and you can do with it as you please. Im still trying to track down the owner of my one and only class ring 2 years later. I found out its not as easy as it seems. Good luck and happy hunting

OP
OP
digger dad

digger dad

May 6, 2016
Va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry! Didn't mean to press the matter on the return. It's a beautiful ring and you can do with it as you please. Im still trying to track down the owner of my one and only class ring 2 years later. I found out its not as easy as it seems. Good luck and happy hunting

No worries ! I took no offense . Good luck with your return as well .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions