largest silver coin yet

oldbenny

Sep 19, 2013
weymouth
Detector(s) used
xpp goldmaxx 2 garrett at pro mienleab excailbur 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
out on my farm permission today in south west England not much for the first few hours then BANG the at-pro shouts out a solid 65-75 this pops up a Spanish coin 184- something a bit encrusted with iron but still the best silver coin I have had for a while how it ended up in a field over here I have no idea it has marks of letters on it might be a love token but unsure anyone help today 1.jpg today 2.jpg

Upvote 18

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet find Benny! Those are some strange stamps, a couple maybe chinese. Or not. Who knows!? Either way it's a sweet Spanish and congrats. What a year you're having!

OP
OP
oldbenny

oldbenny

Sep 19, 2013
weymouth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not always this good I spend hours out but it depends on the site you are on I have farms that do not produce any good finds but you have to still give it a go just in case you miss something my luck never holds for long lets hope its a good year

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's one counter/counter stamped silver! Don't know if it would of being a few different merchants counter stamping or just one trying to decide what would look the best on the coinage. Either way congrats on the one of piece because I bet there's no other one out there that would come close to matching this one. It's where crude makes for having lots of character.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
That that one filled in with many uses!
Counter marked many many times; some even look like Chinese chop marks, that one has been around the block!
Very interesting find

BavariaJeff

May 20, 2015
Seoul, Korea
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Those are Chinese chopmarks similar to what was on some of the US Trade Dollars and other foreign silver coins that circulated in China. This coin saw circulation in China during the late Qing dynasty. Chinese merchants would chopmark the coin to verify the silver purity. Spanish 8 reales and Mexican 8 reales coins were the most popular foreign silver coins to circulate in China due to their high silver content and size. Again big congratulations and awesome find!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a really nice find... especially with the counter stamps. Congrats!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey there Benny what a coin you have, with many strange marking on the face of the man. Dang that coin has been struck many times ,nice find,vanzutphen

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others have said its counterstamped/chopmarks - to do with trading. I think from memory its a 181? not 184?.

They were traded over here but tend to be more of a coastal/port find. Not something I've had yet - you don't find much bigger! - CONGRATS

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like this coin, lots of very unique marks all over it, awesome!

Congrats!

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic chop-marked 8 real, Spanish silver seems hard to find in your area, with pieces from the China trade probably even more rare. At the time, England didn't appreciate the hemorrhaging of silver to China in exchange for tea and luxuries, and heavily promoted the opium trade in the orient in order to recapture some of their coveted metals (check out the opium wars). Anyway, this coin may be an artifact of the English monopoly of the Chinese opium market that somehow escaped being melted and recoined. Sweet find!

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with Plumbata. There may be a lot more history behind that coin than one would think. The chop marks are crisp! Not to mention it's an 8R! Congratulations. I'm voting Banner.

OP
OP
oldbenny

oldbenny

Sep 19, 2013
weymouth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys for your help etc I like to show what I find if its interesting

Top Member Reactions