last couple trips

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
these were my last couple trips couple weeks back. nice point and maybe a tool.

100_0581.JPG100_0582.JPG100_0583.JPG100_0584.JPG

100_0577.JPG100_0579.JPG100_0580.JPG

Not sure if this was a tool, looks kind of odd for a preform
100_0586.JPG100_0587.JPG100_0588.JPG100_0589.JPG

Trip #2, typical finds for most part except the 3rd point here. The base isn't anything like I've found. Looks like a multi tool, but also looks like it was a blade at one point. Not sure about that one, but its pretty cool, don't have any bases like it.

100_0602.JPG100_0603.JPG100_0604.JPG100_0605.JPG

Upvote 0
I enjoyed looking at your finds. The odd preform in question I believe is a preform fragment--obviously knapped but 2ndary edgework is not there. I'd love to find something like it any day.

Steve - third point from trip 2 has a base / notches that look like a Hopewell to me. We are within its range, for sure. Check out these pics: there is quite a lot of variability, but a few look lots like yours. Nice finds!

https://www.projectilepoints.net/Points/Hopewell.html

I think you are pretty accurate on time frame Chris. What about usage though? the lack of symmetry with the notches are throwing me off, maybe an exhausted blade turned multi-tool? even if one ear was busted, that notch on the one side is quite wide and it almost looks like a tang on the bottom left of first pic.

I enjoyed looking at your finds. The odd preform in question I believe is a preform fragment--obviously knapped but 2ndary edgework is not there. I'd love to find something like it any day.

TY, my first thoughts were preform or some kind of backed tool.

I?m assuming NY? You?re on a good spot for sure. Not sure on types, but I?d guess a fishtail or Susquehanna variant on the first. Possibly a Jack?s Reek Corner Notch in the second group.
I?d like to hear more about the lithics used.
Successful trips IMO.

I?m assuming NY? You?re on a good spot for sure. Not sure on types, but I?d guess a fishtail or Susquehanna variant on the first. Possibly a Jack?s Reek Corner Notch in the second group.
I?d like to hear more about the lithics used.
Successful trips IMO.

Yes, I'm in NY. OntarioArch would be able to tell you more about lithics in this area, he has done way more homework than myself :laughing7:. Any time I'm not skunked is a successful trip for me for sure!

Well.....they all look like our good old, highly variable, Onondaga Chert...except one that caught my eye: the surface of the break looks too grainy, too gritty to be Onondaga. But I really don't know what it is: MAMucker- you have tons of experience, what do you think? Argillite? We do find some in our area.
not flint 1.png

not flint 2.png

Last edited:
It?s always a tough call with it not in hand. And even then it can be hard to tell. I?m no expert. Some of our Argillite types look grainy and others layered.
I?d lean toward Argillite for that piece. Or Basalt?

Charl has more insight and experience with these materials than I do. Hopefully, he?ll jump in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back