Legal Experts: Even TOTALLY INNOCENT People Should Avoid Talking to Law Enforcement

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Ā» Legal Experts: Even TOTALLY INNOCENT People Should Avoid Talking to Law Enforcement Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

A law school professor and former criminal defense attorney explains why you should never agree to be interviewed by the police:

Other criminal defense attorneys agree:

As does police officer George Bruch of the Virginia Beach Police Department:

Weā€™ve previously documented that there are so many federal and state laws in the United States, that no one can keep track of them all, and everyone violates laws every day without even knowing it.

As such, it is best to avoid law enforcement when possible.

Itā€™s vital to note, however, that the Supreme Court ruled this year that your silence CAN be used against you (the link is to the website of one of Americaā€™s top constitutional law professors) ā€¦ at least until youā€™re read your Miranda rights. Therefore, if you remain silent when police are questioning you, it is very important to tell the police that you are exercising your right to remain silent. As the Atlantic notes:

Basically, if youā€™re ever in any trouble with policeā€¦ and want to keep your mouth shut,you will need to announce that youā€™re invoking your Fifth Amendment rightinstead of, you know, just keeping your mouth shut. ā€œPetitionerā€™s Fifth Amendment claim fails because he did not expressly invoke the privilege against self-incrimination in response to the officerā€™s question,ā€ reads the [Supreme Court] opinionā€¦.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/12pdf/12-246_7l48.pdf

Itā€™s Not Andy Griffithā€™s America Any More

This is not to say that all law enforcement personnel are bad folks. Many of them are outstanding people.

But our police forces have become so insanely militarized and the fear of terror has become so wildly overblown that many law enforcement personnel have become hair-trigger tense.

People have been severely harassed when theyā€™ve asked for help from law enforcement. For example, an anti-war website was spied on for 6 years after they asked for help by the FBI. And the FBI rifled through all of a womanā€™s electronic communications after she told the FBI that she was being harassed.

Police have recently tasered numerous deaf or ******ed people for ā€œfailing to follow ordersā€.

And theyā€™ve shot and killed people who were just looking for help. See this and this.

Former FAMU player Jonathan Ferrell killed by Charlotte police - CNN.com

Woman Calls 911 For Diabetic Fiance, Police Shoot And Kill Man Upon Arrival

Again, weā€™re not trying to paint with a broad brush; most law enforcement personnel are good folks just trying to do their job. And police are human, too ā€¦ sometimes they get scared and overreact.

But itā€™s not the same ole Andy Griffith show type demeanor among law enforcement today. So itā€™s best to be careful.

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know deepseeker ADS, usually you and I would agree on most things and I'm not saying that I disagree with you completely on this either. I think for me it would depend on what law enforcement agency I was dealing with as to how closely I'd follow this. If I was in a large city that I don't know well and have no contacts in, then yes I'd probably follow this, depending on why I'm being interviewed. However, I have a son who is a Texas Ranger and several other younger men I know well who are LEOs at various levels of law enforcement. If an LEO reacts differently now than they did several years ago, it's simply because the times have changed and there is much more danger out there now for them than there ever has been. So again, I guess for me, it would depend on what, where and the circumstances.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
You know deepseeker ADS, usually you and I would agree on most things and I'm not saying that I disagree with you completely on this either. I think for me it would depend on what law enforcement agency I was dealing with as to how closely I'd follow this. If I was in a large city that I don't know well and have no contacts in, then yes I'd probably follow this, depending on why I'm being interviewed. However, I have a son who is a Texas Ranger and several other younger men I know well who are LEOs at various levels of law enforcement. If an LEO reacts differently now than they did several years ago, it's simply because the times have changed and there is much more danger out there now for them than there ever has been. So again, I guess for me, it would depend on what, where and the circumstances.

I think we still agree, but I also fear the coming trends, like the ones populating the news today. Over my life I've had many friends in the force and always trusted them. Have you noticed the new generations of police now - they are militarized. Back in the 80's one of my best friends was a Detroit cop. The last time I saw him, about 5 years ago, you couldn't even talk to him - a different man completely. Being from Detroit, I can understand the change in him. If you deal with nothing but madness, the madness will eventually creep into you.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a tough call that's for sure. My experience with law enforcement has always been civil. My thoughts are, I talk with the police, give them all the correct information so they can focus on the real criminals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread