Legal ownership of finds

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If I'm not mistaken, the laws of mexico say that's what's under the ground (even on private property) belong to the govt. Much like England's laws, for instance, where troves found, even on private property, are owned by the queen (over a given value or age anyhow, so singular or low-value coins not inc'd).

For example: If you find out that there's oil under your land in Mexico, you're not "rich" like you would be, in the USA. On the contrary, you get booted off your land, and the govt. moves in to drill. And if it was govt. land in the first place, even moreso are you S.O.L.

So the same would be true for minerals, treasures, etc.... I would think. Thus I think that when/if mexican hunter/hobbyists find something, they probably do not make waves, and go ask too many questions of desk-bound bureaucrats down there. ::)

sherwood

Greenie
Oct 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Mexico if you find something.....keep a low profile,

don`t tell anyone,

the politicians will confiscate it and then keep it for themselves.

dougachim

Jan 30, 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'm not mistaken, the laws of mexico say that's what's under the ground (even on private property) belong to the govt. Much like England's laws, for instance, where troves found, even on private property, are owned by the queen (over a given value or age anyhow, so singular or low-value coins not inc'd).

For example: If you find out that there's oil under your land in Mexico, you're not "rich" like you would be, in the USA. On the contrary, you get booted off your land, and the govt. moves in to drill. And if it was govt. land in the first place, even moreso are you S.O.L.

So the same would be true for minerals, treasures, etc.... I would think. Thus I think that when/if mexican hunter/hobbyists find something, they probably do not make waves, and go ask too many questions of desk-bound bureaucrats down there. ::)
If you find oil under your land you have to apply for a permit and pay taxes on the oil or minerals you dig up

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If you find oil under your land you have to apply for a permit and pay taxes on the oil or minerals you dig up

Ok. Sure. And I wonder if bureaucracy would be the same for minerals and treasure found on-ones-own land there too ?

As far as "taxes", that's to be expected no matter what country you're in, and no matter what the source of your income is. So I don't fault Mexico for that. So too did the Beverly hillbillies probably have to 'pay taxes' on their oil here. And If I found a treasure chest on my land here, and sold off gold to a smelter (thus creating "income"), then sure: *technically* I owe taxes.

But in Mexico, it's my understanding that it goes beyond this mere "taxes". It's control as well. Eg.: To drill for it, decide what to do with it, etc...

dougachim

Jan 30, 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. Sure. And I wonder if bureaucracy would be the same for minerals and treasure found on-ones-own land there too ?

As far as "taxes", that's to be expected no matter what country you're in, and no matter what the source of your income is. So I don't fault Mexico for that. So too did the Beverly hillbillies probably have to 'pay taxes' on their oil here. And If I found a treasure chest on my land here, and sold off gold to a smelter (thus creating "income"), then sure: *technically* I owe taxes.

But in Mexico, it's my understanding that it goes beyond this mere "taxes". It's control as well. Eg.: To drill for it, decide what to do with it, etc...
If I ever found something worth a lot no one but me would know about it.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
I'm new to treasure hunting, so what is the correct legal process if you make some "very large" find in Mexico, near the Tulum area? Will you get some reward from the government, or a licence to explore this on government land?
Regards,
Welcome to Tnet,lots of info here,so buckle up.

dougachim

Jan 30, 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet,lots of info here,so buckle up.
I wouldn't tell anyone I found anything anywhere. I live in New Mexico and rent a farm in Chihuahua to grow jalapenos for my salsa. I wouldn't tell anyone either place that I had money, they would cut your throat in a heart beat in Chihuahua for a c-note and the communist's than run my state would do the same for a lot less.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread