LODE CLAIM QUESTION

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I assume the granted extra lateral rights of a lode claim are still applicable or am I mistaken? And if there is no apex of a vein on your claim but you discover the vein underground? Where does that leave you in regard to surrounding lode or placer claims? I hope this makes sense.

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes extralateral (one word) rights are still in effect. A lode claim has the rights to the dip of the deposit that extends laterally outside the the surface lines of the claim along it's long (strike line) sides.

There is no requirement that the vein be exposed on the surface. Once you establish that there is a valuable mineral in place (the discovery point) you will need to determine the strike line (compass direction) of the deposit so you can orient the claim up to 300 feet on either side of the strike and up to 1,500 feet along the strike. You can drill (or dig in some circumstances) as needed to expose enough of the vein to establish the strike line (and dip) of the deposit.

If you have only determined the point of discovery and not the strike of the vein before you locate you run the risk of laying the claim out in the wrong compass direction. Doing that has sunk many a locator. If that is the case your extralateral rights are lost because the short ends of the claim do not have extralateral rights. Only the long sidelines parallel to the strike have extralateral rights.

It's tricky business locating a lode claim properly. As with most claims the odds of striking it rich are not great. Most veins tend to "pinch out" at depth leaving the locator with little but a hole in the ground. On the other hand the richest gold discoveries in history have all been lodes. :thumbsup:

More about Strike and Dip.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
SLNugget

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes extralateral (one word) rights are still in effect. A lode claim has the rights to the dip of the deposit that extends laterally outside the the surface lines of the claim along it's long (strike line) sides.

There is no requirement that the vein be exposed on the surface. Once you establish that there is a valuable mineral in place (the discovery point) you will need to determine the strike line (compass direction) of the deposit so you can orient the claim up to 300 feet on either side of the strike and up to 1,500 feet along the strike. You can drill (or dig in some circumstances) as needed to expose enough of the vein to establish the strike line (and dip) of the deposit.

If you have only determined the point of discovery and not the strike of the vein before you locate you run the risk of laying the claim out in the wrong compass direction. Doing that has sunk many a locator. If that is the case your extralateral rights are lost because the short ends of the claim do not have extralateral rights. Only the long sidelines parallel to the strike have extralateral rights.

It's tricky business locating a lode claim properly. As with most claims the odds of striking it rich are not great. Most veins tend to "pinch out" at depth leaving the locator with little but a hole in the ground. On the other hand the richest gold discoveries in history have all been lodes. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Thanks Barry. One man's chump change is another man's riches!!! But I get what you mean. I am still trying to figure out the strike and dip exactly and will have to study some more. The strike I think I have but still some confusion over the dip. Your help is very much appreciated.

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Heavy Pans

If a valuable lode deposit becomes significantly exposed at the surface and the miner wants to excavate/open up the area to determine the strike and dip;... and additionally the miner needs to scrape off the surface area of the deposit (a geologic stack intrusion) with a large cat/or excavator prior to actually entering the deposit for the determination of strike and dip;...... how is a miner to approach the heavy equipment use....... (I could do it in a day;..... and most likely need to expose a 100 ft by 100 ft area)

I understand all the issues pertaining to the NOI and POO and can remain free of that aspect...but I question what will happen when I actually use the heavy equipment and the work is seen by the BLM/USFS. Additionally I am guaranteed by previous BLM/USFS excavations that the equipment work would have absolutely no adverse impact.

Bejay

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread