Looking for Partner in Polk county Lakeland area

neo2868

Jun 25, 2006
Lakeland, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesero Tiger Shark
I am looking for a treasure hunting partner in the Lakeland area who is scuba certified as I will be certified on the weekend of July 4th. I have a Tesoro TigerShark and can dive up to 200 ft with it and I have most of my scuba gear(Just waiting on my octo regulator and gauge set to come in). Anyone in the local area who might be interested please send me a P.M.
Thanks,
Dave

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Dave,

I reside in Lakeland part time, am scuba certified. Where are you planning on diving at?

Are you looking at diving the local lakes/swim areas?

OP
OP
N

neo2868

Jun 25, 2006
Lakeland, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesero Tiger Shark
Yes I want to do some local diving but also some stuff out in the gulf when I am more experienced as well. I just know it is not safe to dive by yourself and everyone I have talked with is not really interested in metal detecting just diving, so I figured I would post something on here.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting, diving in the Gulf. Do you have someplace specific in mind? Are you looking for someplace in particular or just going diving and poking about with the MD?

There is not a lot of very deep water over that way where you need to use a 'tector. The swim areas, to include all the beach areas, can be done wading. I don't know of any deep dive or swim platform areas that would be great with a detector that you can't get to by wading.

I dive for sharks teeth off of Venice, which makes for a really nice and easy beach dive. Here is a link should you ever want to go. http://www.southerncrosses.com/2008/09/09/shark-teeth-hunting-venice-beach/

It's only 20' deep there and you can stay down for 90 minutes or more with an aluminum 80. I've taken my 'tector with me once, but didn't find anything other than trash iron. Nobody swims there, but they do closer to the beach.

Where in Polk County do you want to go? Which lakes do you have in mind for detecting?

OP
OP
N

neo2868

Jun 25, 2006
Lakeland, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesero Tiger Shark
Well I was kind of thinking places like Max's Beach in Auburndale and maybe Lake Hollingsworth where the people sunbathe on the dock and lose jewelry and maybe a few more places like that. As far as the Gulf goes there is a spot that is about 24 feet deep and you might need a detector, this is taken from the stories that I have heard (I won't release any more details until I find someone that will partner with me and we come to trust one another) I also have a few more places that I would like to try around Florida but some may need a permit from the State because of the 50 year old rule.
And then there are the islands around Charlotte Harbor not to mention a few swimming holes up near Tallahassee (my mother lives there) and these swimming holes are natural springs. But let me know if you are interested.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Next time I'm in Lakeland I'll give you a shout.

I've spent a lot of time in the lakes of Polk county. I was a sheriff's rescue diver for a bunch of years. Got my share of bodies and stolen cars out of the lakes. The beaches your talking about should be fine for wading. Be prepared for a ton of trash, but there might be some good stuff mixed in. I don't know if anyone is hunting Max's.

Diving in the lakes you can generally expect less than 2' visibility, lots of stolen cars, newspaper boxes, guns, safes, a body or two, several hundred alligators, and a gazillion beer cans. There are a few old swim holes I know of, but it's been a few years. They are probably developed by now.

There are some old settlements up off of Rockridge Rd and Deanstill that would be fun to hunt if your into relics.

I sail down to the islands near Charlotte every now and then. Lots of hunting ground that way.

Otherwise, the beaches all along the west coast are fun to hunt.

OP
OP
N

neo2868

Jun 25, 2006
Lakeland, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesero Tiger Shark
Well I finally got my open water certification so now I am ready to use my under water detector. if anyone is interested in hooking up then reply to this message.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread