Looking for some good areas in Kitchener/Waterloo area.

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
LOL, well well. I was typing out a reply here when I just realized something. I already spoke to you by Email!! Imagine that!

Godo luck to us and I'll see ya in the field! :D

Skookum Jim

Aug 16, 2009
bamn07 said:
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if there is anyone else on here from the KW area. I'm looking to maybe trade some good information about places to hunt and maybe even get together for a hunt. Send me an response if you're interested.
It takes good research to develop new sites. What I do is I go to the library and enquire if they have old maps of the area. There was a mapping project done in about 1874 that showed the location of every home and farmstead in the Province.
As the maps were to a fairly accurate scale they can be photostated and a foil made of them which is then used to overlay on a current map of the same scale. You will find that many roads have been re routed or abandoned and only major roads are still in place. Large forest fires of the mid to late 1800's displaced families and homes and frequently the access into certain areas changed with the layout of new roads. Also access also changed from river traffic to road traffic as well.
Anyhow, look on your old maps for the present day location of old Schools and villiages, Frequently whole communities moved location or faded away due to changes in industry or other circumstances.
From the local libraries, many small towns of the past (big towns now) had published small books or magazines to comemorate 100 years etc and these are full of information and stories of people who faced disaster and loss .
Many of these areas are extremely rich in artifacts and even coins and jewellry from that period.
Up in the Ottawa area I found an abandoned farmhouse that still had all the furniture and tools from a hundred years ago. I retrieved a childs "Stash" buried in rubble in the root cellar that had a collection of large American pennies dating from 1845 to 1860 maybe.
Of course, almost all of the old homes and farm houses, especially those that were burned are long gone but you can still find the foundations and root cellars if you can organize a low level flight over the area.
Take a camera along to pin down the location.
For some reason , a lot of the remains of old homes are evident today by the presence of Lilac bushes. Don't ask me why. If you see a clump of Lilac bushes in a field , often you will find old foundations there as well or at the least the remains of old square cut timber from the past structures.
Observe FArmers fields and see where the farmer DOESN'T plough. The farmer won't plough where there are old rock piles from old foundations.
If you are a coin / beach hunter, look for the location of beaches where people used to go. Frequently beach locations are abandoned in favour of more accessible and newer spots. Again consult the old books, maps and periodicals in the library.
Good Hunting.
Jim . Port Dover Ontario

AF647

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2006
will trade spots im in hamilton area
kw has never been excellent for me
though did fair in the 90s
email me if you want

wannabeseen

Apr 25, 2014
Kitchener
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye ll Pinpointer, Fiskars Digger, Garrett Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from kitchener, and have been trying to find good places myself, if youf looking for a hunting partner shoot me an email.

Rick79

Mar 19, 2018
Kitchener, ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All. Im a new Detectorist and live in Kitchener. Also looking for some good places in the area to detect.

Rick79

Mar 19, 2018
Kitchener, ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All. Anyone in the KW area wanting to get together and do some detecting? message me.

mcsteve

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2018
Elora, ON
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been interested in MD'ing for some time but have only recently ordered my first device. I've done visual hunting on beaches over the years (SC, FL) and also some searching in dry areas (NV, AZ etc). I've never found anything of financial value but have found many interesting items. I am in Elora and would also like to connect with others in the area (KW, Guelph, Fergus) that want to get together for some detecting. While walking a river bed with headphones on brings a certain amount of peaceful solitude, I think it is most fun to share a find with someone who appreciates the process. Rick79, did you find others to join your hunting?

zombie

Aug 30, 2016
Guelph, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Bounty Hunter DISCOVERY 1100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys,
I'm in Guelph and just got a Garrett AT Pro. Anyone interested in going out sometime somewhere local, maybe give me some pointers on how to use it too?

Volodymyr4868

Apr 14, 2016
Guelph, ON, Canada
Detector(s) used
Discovery 2200, Spectra V3i, DRS Ground Exper Pro, back to Outbound best overall sadly!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey zombie! I am in Guelph too want to go on hunts together??

Vlad

Volodymyr4868

Apr 14, 2016
Guelph, ON, Canada
Detector(s) used
Discovery 2200, Spectra V3i, DRS Ground Exper Pro, back to Outbound best overall sadly!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A quick question to the moderator. Can I leave my contact info ie e-mail, phone number so people can contact me?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions