Looking for some help on identifying that little corn stamp on this 159ish navarre. Could have been from an original explorer in America.Thanks.

nathan reale

Greenie
Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20230620_230802.jpg

Attachments

• 20230620_230847.jpg
    20230620_230847.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
Upvote 7

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you are asking about the counterstamp........
The counterstamp was added pursuant to the edict of 1640 validating the coin for circulation in Nouvelle France. This coin was impressed on the reverse with a punch displaying a fleur-de-lys with an oval beaded border.
Don in SoCal.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
they were common currency in early North America. The European powers were not prepared for settlers needing an exchange medium so they tossed used up, worn out, low value loose change over here from time to time. The problem they faced was keeping the good coin back home to keep their established economies secure. It took a while but the Spanish and Portuguese got it right with great ore sources and new world mints. In Brazil, they actually had great coinage and at the same time, colonial denominations different than the ones in Europe in an effort to keep coinage secure throughout the empire.

OP
OP
nathan reale

nathan reale

Greenie
Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they were common currency in early North America. The European powers were not prepared for settlers needing an exchange medium so they tossed used up, worn out, low value loose change over here from time to time. The problem they faced was keeping the good coin back home to keep their established economies secure. It took a while but the Spanish and Portuguese got it right with great ore sources and new world mints. In Brazil, they actually had great coinage and at the same time, colonial denominations different than the ones in Europe in an effort to keep coinage secure throughout the empire.
Thank you for the great reply. I've held on to this coin for 8 years or so. Always wondering it's history and how it came to be where I found it. Definitely could have been from an original settler from my town. Value is insignificant. History is priceless.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
you can buy that coin for a few bucks on ebay, but having it in context of an actual early american coin adds historical value, document it for your kids.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread