Looking to get a second detector

Prospector54

Jan 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, I have been metal detecting for a little over a year with a Garrett AT gold and am looking into another machine. I bought the AT gold for prospecting mostly and have been doing more relic hunting than prospecting, any thoughts for the next machine?should I stick with Garrett for the AT pro or go to someone else? Thanks :metaldetector:???

augusthog

Aug 8, 2010
Colorado
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter big bud pro
Your asking a guy who runs a Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro (analog type) that still outdoes the new ones.......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You already know the ATPro..

stillrollin300

Jan 15, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ace 350, Garrett Infinium, AT Pro, ATX, GPX 4800, E-Trac, DMC 2B
Depends on the types of ground you will be hunting in. The E-trac and Deus are both really impressive machines.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want relics find you a gold bug pro, F-19 or G-2 +. They are all about the same machine when it comes to unmasking relics in iron laden sites.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F19 is one of the best "all around" detectors on the market with its stock coil....my opinion of course.

Can hit small nuggets...has great ID (at depth) for coin shooters...has great depth for relics hunters. Disc....recovery speed...separation...all very good.

Basically a GB Pro on steroids. Got to see one in use in Arizona while gold prospecting...and it had me sold at the end of the day. The dudes wife actually cried they came away so well.

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another good one to look at is the White's MXT all pro with the 950 coil. The 10 DD coil is very good also but I prefer the 950 coil.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, it looks like you want to go deeper. Look at the Whiter PI line for those deep nuggets without taking out a bank loan. :):):) Frank

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear and read good things about both the F19 and the classic T2 pertaining to be outstanding relic machines. I am a coin shooter that enjoys digging the occasional relic/artifact.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you live somewhere that actually has "nuggets," then look into a used Minelab SD or GPX machine. If you want to stay with a VLF, look at the new Goldbug Pro, or Tesoro Lobo Super Traq.

SoCalDesertFox

Nov 27, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
First Texas Search Master DX-3500 (1981)
Primary Interest:
Other
As long as you're not running a digitally-controlled detector, you can get better depth-range just upping the voltage of battery you use. Higher voltage = greater field strength = greater penetration for a given amount of gain.

Alternatively, just take it apart and switch out the medium-gain (250-400 hFE) NPNs with ultra-high gain (1200 hFE or more) NPN transistors. Watch as your unit suddenly outperforms anything else on the market (because everyone seems to refuse to use truly high-gain NPNs, which is why every detector has practically the same sub-meter depth range.)

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
As long as you're not running a digitally-controlled detector, you can get better depth-range just upping the voltage of battery you use. Higher voltage = greater field strength = greater penetration for a given amount of gain.

Alternatively, just take it apart and switch out the medium-gain (250-400 hFE) NPNs with ultra-high gain (1200 hFE or more) NPN transistors. Watch as your unit suddenly outperforms anything else on the market (because everyone seems to refuse to use truly high-gain NPNs, which is why every detector has practically the same sub-meter depth range.)

Most of the good detectors have voltage regulators so upping the input voltage won't do anything for you. Changing the transistors can also increase the background noise. This could create serious ground balance problems.
If you want to fool around with the settings, pick up an old Whites XLT. You can adjust jest about anything in the computer on screen. There's even a manual on doing it.
Just a thought, Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread