Maiden voyage with the SEF 10x12 Coil, 3 silver day.

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my new 10x12 to the oldest zoo in the Southwest, founded in 1898 and was located across the street from the old train depot for a test run today. This zoo was a very popular attraction for folks taking the train up into a mountain retreat at 9000 ft in the cool pines above the desert here in NM. All of the coins were in the 7-9" range and surrounded by trash or iron, the 10x12 did a hellava job separating the good from the bad. I ran TTF with manual sens at 20, when I switched over to auto there was a very distinct difference in the quality of the signal. The oval object was at the 12" range and sounded repeatable and gave a nice 12-42 to 12-44 visual reading. The war nickle gave a in the ground reading of 11-34 to 10-35, after I dug it, it read 12-30 in the air(unusually high for a silver nickle)
The most frustrating thing about hunting this place is getting targets as deep as 9" and only getting back to the 1940's or 50's, last week I was using the 13" Ultimate coil and was digging pulltabs at 9" with excellent tones and VDI numbers. Obviously fill has been added over the years and the only way to get back to the teens and back is when they do some dirt work which is far and few in between.

Overall the SEF does a great job of separating targets in trash, gets very good depth and weighs close to the what the stock coil does. It looks bigger than what it actually is when your swinging it. Tuesday I'm taking it back to the zoo along with the 11" pro coil and the 13" Ultimate coil and will do some side by side comparison on in the ground targets. I'll be able to measure the exact depth before digging by using my Periscope probe before I disturb each target. It'll be interesting to see how each coil stacks up against the other.

Attachments

• IMG_7092.JPG
    IMG_7092.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_7094.JPG
    IMG_7094.JPG
    217.8 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 6

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a sef coil also. I sure wear out the covers quickly. I like the 8x10. Any problems finding your targets with the 13"?

OP
OP
Dan(NM)

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It pinpoints very well for a large coil, not really a problem.

I use a sef coil also. I sure wear out the covers quickly. I like the 8x10. Any problems finding your targets with the 13"?

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool, glad your new equipment is working out so well. Congrats on the finds!

I did some work at the rail yard next to the zoo many years ago. I had to do a lot of research on the rail yard. You have quite site there! GL&HH!
-Darren

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread