Mark this Cache off of your "To Do" List...

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Mark this Cache off of your "To Do" List...

What the #x*x%*x already found in a tweed Box? By whom & when and was there actually $10,000 or what was found by the finder. ( as the would be plot thickens).
Was it Gold or Notes which may have no Cash Value as money but only to a collector, You know how old money is no longer "payable on demand".
Not to pop any bubbles but I do not hear any facts to support the find, possible never will. Hummm
At least thanks for the brain tease, Ya all.

Scar

Dec 25, 2010

All I have seen is a shot up bucket and that don't mean nothing. I saw clues in the original post that were not addressed. I must admit that I have only skim read this thread.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

Yeah, the shot-up bucket. It's a clue!

No one has taken credit for the find. Another $1,000 or so was found in mostly silver when Bennett's house was torn down after his death. Only foundation stones are left.

At least one person has suggested (in a personal message) the pond would be the place to secret a large stash of coins. But the pond wasn't constructed until about 1970, long after Bennett had died and the house town down. I doubt it has much to do with anything myself. Yes, it would be an easy way to hide money. But why hide again what was apparently already found?

At least you recognized the bucket as a bucket, Scar. I didn't. My father (now 86) did. He said it came from an early McCormick bailer, which had a metal bucket to hold twin twine rolls in.

Any *proof* the gold has been found. No. Wouldn't expect *proof* to be present. What sort of *proof* would you leave if you found it? Other than the twine bucket lying on top of the ground in plain view from the road, I'm not sure anything else needed to be said. Not every cache ever found had a can with rocks in it buried for future hunters. Remember Bennett died long before any metal detectors were ever manufactured.

Anything left to the cache? Anything is possible. Leaving $20,000 in gold (yep, $20,000, not $10,000) was a hefty sum for the time. I don't really expect much else to be uncovered there. Didn't even find the rattlesnake den Bennett was so careful with.

What this thread has proven to me is that if you get a bona fide lead, follow its history, do on-site research and are able to debunk it, there will always be people saying the money's still there.

There's something to be said for the poster from The X Files that says "The truth is out there." But it isn't always the truth you expect to find.

Scar

Dec 25, 2010

Open holes all in this tail that need more examination. Why did LeGore attack Bennett? Was it over a woman? Was it over some road being built. Was Bennett a "Hit Man"? Where is the point of beginning looking out of the North window to define that point regarding Sinai?

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wish I had Superman's X-Ray Vision.
It would almost be impossible to manhandle & Tear up the countryside looking and not getting in trouble.lol
With that $$$ I would have had Steak every day,Kooch and a good woman for days.
Hope he had spent some for himself.
Many have over saved and never spent anything but just to leave it to others.
The $10,000 $20,000 or $50,000... Or: 0 Something to think about friend, Happy new year 2012.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Scar said:
No one has brought up some of the biblical clues in this story on this thread. (Sinai, bush, flat stones)
Bennet's house was built on the south side of the hill he called it Mt.Sinai. now known as Bennet's point in Rhinehart, Oregon. If the gold is there it's on the south side of the hill.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=10525656

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for posting the link RD, I read the article and reread the post and looked at the pictures again. What I am thinking now, is the words, "go to the north window of his house and to look at Sinai ("Mt. Sinai" now known as Bennett's Point in Rhinehart, Oregon) straight in front of me, then go to the place I saw."

if any of us, 2- or even 3 people went one by one without speaking of a specific spot, the first one went in an looked out the window, then tells someone else to go to the window and see what the other saw, (without being specific as to what the fist one saw). everyone can have a different view of "What they saw" when they first looked out a window without specifics as to what to look for. Some may look at the very top of the hill, some may look at the terrain, others may look at the sides of the hill first. So it can vary in many ways.

I would get a metal detector all around every rock around there. Also, for the time period, north may actually be in a different direction by many degrees and put someone off course with today's degree of north.

Now also, thinking that if this was a verbal instruction to his best friend and his friend goes off to war, people tend to forget somethings. There could be some other clues that was either forgotten or misplaced by memory.

Thinking on the rattlesnake den, being he wasn't afraid of the snakes, and knew others may be, he could have hidden the gold in the rattlesnake den which could be in the same vicinity.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Q. How do you hide stuff in a rattlesnake den without getting bit????
That is a good idea though, how about ya throw in some posion gas, like 5 "Bug bombs"... Set a timer and kaaa boom! Out fly out the snakes! Man oh Man! but don't let them critters land on ya, They Might Be Mad!!!
Seriously: If I had a Minelab GPX 5000, I would be all over that place like a sailor in port on sick leave! no lie!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread