Mason Jar Lids and a dump

gxfricke

Greenie
Mar 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a couple of mason jar lids in my backyard the other day. There was another signal that I figured was another lid and I didn't dig it until tonight. I ended up finding 3 lids, 2 were Ball and 1 was an Atlas. The one Atlas and one of the Ball's had the glass intact, I've never found a whole one so I was pretty happy. In the hole with these lids, I found some glass and pottery and some chicken bones. I would assume this was a dump at some point. Since my house was built in the 1830's, this dump could be very old or only 50-60 years old. Is it possible to make an educated guess at the age of this dump, from just these lids? Would it be worth digging this dump up?
Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!
Thanks
Gary

IMG_6540.JPG IMG_6541.JPG

Upvote 4

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that is the age of your place then yes dig this dump site. Farther down will be the better stuff. Look for the old privy sites too.....man you place will give some great times.

OP
OP
G

gxfricke

Greenie
Mar 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's kind of what I was thinking. The next question is how do I tell the wife?

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's kind of what I was thinking. The next question is how do I tell the wife?

Tell her that you got a tip that a stagecoach line dropped a pay chest off and never recovered.....Intrigue may get her to help dig it out.....worth a shot.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would tell her that you got word there was a huge diamond ring buried somewhere in there a few feet deep !! I'll bet she lets you dig then. Good luck.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want an estimate of age,, try testing that chicken bone. After approximately 150 years, chicken bones have a tendency to develop a very salty taste.
Unless of course, , someone was eating chicken while sitting in the outhouse. That would cause the chicken to take on a peppery taste.
Good luck partner and congrats on the lids

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread